Connect with us

News

Local students part of school reform survey

Published

on

B

By Michelle Crean

Students from St Brendan's College were part of a national survey to gauge their feelings on reforming the senior cycle in secondary schools. On Wednesday, Irish Second-Level Students’ Union (ISSU) held a virtual symposium to launch their Senior Cycle Reform Report.

The ISSU has been consulting with students, education stakeholders and representative groups in the creation of this new Senior Cycle Reform Report which was launched by former Minister of Education and Skills Ruairí Quinn.

Participants of the survey are students from 32 ISSU member schools across the country. The survey sample is representative of the school and student make-up of Ireland, and both Fifth and Sixth year groups were invited to complete the survey.

The Senior Cycle Reform Report will form the basis for future lobbying by the ISSU on the issue of Senior Cycle Reform

"Over the past couple of months, we've been trying to gauge what type of reforms are needed for the Senior Cycle," Kacper Bogalecki, Regional Officer of ISSU, and a Fifth Year student in St Brendan's, told the Killarney Advertiser.

"With COVID-19 testing our educational system, and also cognisant of the fact that the current system that is in place is outdated and no longer fit for purpose, we wanted to consult our members on what their thoughts were on the changes that needed to be made. In the two weeks before our Easter Break, we released our survey to the students of 32 of our member-schools of which St Brendan's College was a part of, and held a Town Hall Consultation at our Extraordinary Assembly last week."

These consultations highlighted the areas of the Irish Senior Cycle Programme that fell short of what students required, he explained.

"Some of the key findings were that 80% of respondents said that the academic work and/or prospect of exams in the senior cycle had negatively impacted their mental health and 56.9% of students disagreed, or strongly disagreed with the statement that the skills that they were taught in senior cycle prepared them to leave school."

On Wednesday these results were presented and discussed.

"Going forward, we plan to present these findings to the relevant bodies and will lobby our fellow stakeholders to ensure that the new senior cycle reflects what students in today's world need, so that they are prepared for life after second-level education."

Advertisement

News

Chamber’s emphasis on cyber security

  Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to taketo ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies. Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted […]

Published

on

 

Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to take
to ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies.

Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted a very informative breakfast
briefing in the International Hotel at which they keynote speakers were cyber security
experts Mike Dennehy and Ger McAuliffe from progressive local company Tricel.
The opening question at the event was how will a business operate tomorrow if it
loses access to its data today?
Mike and Ger recommended that all employers to include IT training as part of the
induction programme for new entrants, organise monthly awareness training for all
employees and to conduct monthly spot-checks to ensure everything is going
according to plan.
It was essential, they pointed out not to give the same level of access to all
employees to reduce risk and to devise a disaster recovery plan in case it is needed.
Companies have also been advised not to allow the public to use their private wi-fi
network and, instead, to set up a public or guest network.
Chamber thanked the experts from Tricel for their engaging talk which certainly put
the spotlight very firmly on the need to enhance cyber security measures.

Continue Reading

News

Win tickets for Killarney for Palestine sold-out INEC show

Killarney for Palestine has announced a fundraising competition that will give Killarney Advertiser readers a chance to win two tickets to the sold-out Night for Palestine concert in the INEC […]

Published

on

Killarney for Palestine has announced a fundraising competition that will give Killarney Advertiser readers a chance to win two tickets to the sold-out Night for Palestine concert in the INEC on December 19.

The event, which features Amble, Beoga and Clare Sands, has already reached full capacity, but the group is offering two tickets along with a €250 Gleneagle Hotel Group voucher, which can also be used at the Brehon.
To enter, supporters are asked to make a minimum €5 donation to the group’s Chuffed campaign, which is raising funds for urgent medical support for a displaced family in Gaza.

The link to the campaign is:

http://chuffed.org/project/154575-urgent-medical-relief-for-mohammad-basyouni-his-kids

After donating, entrants must email proof of donation to:
killarneyforpalestine@yahoo.com
The competition runs on the group’s Instagram page @killarneyforpalestine, where full instructions are listed. A winner will be chosen at random and announced on November 29.
Killarney for Palestine says all proceeds from the INEC event will support Aclaí Palestine, a community gym based in Aida Refugee Camp, Bethlehem.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport