Connect with us

News

Progress on Lewis Road and bypass road projects

Published

on

&

 

By Sean Moriarty

Plans to overhaul the layout of the Killarney bypass can move forward to the next phase following a High Court decision this week.

The much-needed project, which includes the realignment of Lewis Road and the construction of a new roundabout to take traffic from the Kilcummin side, was delayed as a result of a judicial review.

Details of the legal case were not made public but the Killarney Advertiser understands it related to the purchase of lands required to construct the new roundabout.

On Tuesday, Kerry County Council revealed that the legal proceedings were dismissed by the High Court allowing the Council to proceed with the next phase of the scheme.

The Killarney bypass and its intersection with Lewis Road has been high on the Council’s priority list for years.

It has been the scene of several fatal accidents and it is considered a traffic blackspot in the town.
Over 18,000 vehicles a day use the road.

Now that the plans can go ahead it is expected that the project will include a new roundabout between the entrance to the fire station and existing roundabout at the Killarney Sports and Leisure Complex/Woodlands Industrial Estate entrance.

This new roundabout will take traffic travelling to and from the Kilcummin area away from the dangerous Lewis Rd/Kilcummin Road junction.

It will also be used to prevent traffic turning right onto Lewis Road; instead traffic will continue to the new roundabout and double-back to Lewis Road.

“I welcome the news that the proposals for the Lewis Road junction to improve safety can now proceed to the next phase of this scheme. This is a positive step in addressing road safety issues at this dangerous junction,” Mayor of Killarney Brendan Cronin said.

Several councillors including Niall Kelleher have been campaigning for years to get these works approved. In 2018 he led a petition - which was signed by over 5,000 people - following a fatal accident in the area.

He also led a deputation to Dáil Éireann where concerned residents met with the Department of Transport and Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) officials.

“This put the issue high on their agendas and we got funding and design approval after that,” Mr Kelleher told the Killarney Advertiser. “It was hoped that construction would have started last year but the judicial review is due process and people are entitled to this.”

While the news that the bypass project can move to the next phase is very welcome, an issue remains on how to get pedestrians to and from the Lewis Road side to the Killarney Legion and Killarney Celtic playing fields off the Kilcummin Road. A previous proposal to build an underpass was rejected by residents of Bridgefield Estate.

“People attending matches at Legion or Celtic are entitled to cross the bypass without actually walking on the road itself,” added Mr Kelleher. “There are a number of options being considered here.”

It is understood that Kerry County Council are examining several options, including alternative locations for an underpass and the potential construction of an overbridge.

THE NEXT PHASE

The news that works can finally go ahead on the bypass road are welcome but this is only the start of it.

The next phase will include the construction of a new road, linking Park Road with the bypass. It is anticipated that this new road would start on Lower Park Road, near McDonald's Restaurant and exit on the existing bypass somewhere near the fire station.
This plan, currently under consideration by Kerry County Council, would take traffic from Daly’s Roundabout and the Lewis Road junction. It would also allow a new access to the Deerpark Shopping Centre, reducing traffic on Upper Park Road.

“This will make both Daly’s and the Cleeney Roundabout safer and will take pressure off the Lewis Road,” Cllr Niall Kelleher told the Killarney Advertiser. “The whole motive [behind the bypass works] is to take pressure off Lewis Road.”

Advertisement

News

Hauliers bring fuel debate to Killarney

Published

on

Hauliers bring fuel debate to Killarney


Killarney will take centre stage in the national debate over rising fuel costs next month as the Irish Road Haulage Association (IRHA) gathers for its Annual Conference at the Gleneagle Hotel on Friday, September 4, and Saturday, September 5.


Thousands of transport operators and hauliers from across Ireland are expected to attend the two-day event, which takes place as the industry faces increasing regulatory pressures and potential cuts to government fuel supports.
Senior political leaders are scheduled to address the conference. Minister for Climate, Environment, Energy and Transport Darragh O’Brien TD, alongside Minister of State Seán Canney TD, will address delegates at Saturday evening’s gala dinner. Other political speakers over the weekend include Michael Healy-Rae TD, MEP Cynthia Ní Mhurchú, Carol Nolan TD, and Sean Kelly MEP.
IRHA President Ger Hyland warned that any government plans to unwind existing fuel supports would place severe pressure on hauliers and the wider economy.
“The attendance of both Ministers with responsibility for transport underlines the importance of the issues facing our industry. Hauliers are once again dealing with rising fuel prices at a time when operating costs remain exceptionally high. We believe now is not the time to withdraw fuel supports, and that message will be delivered directly to Government during our conference,” Hyland said.
“Any decision to wind down fuel supports at this time would drive inflation and have a severe impact on households and families across the country who would see higher food, and transport costs – driving the cost of living crisis to unsustainable levels. Adding 30 cents back onto a litre of fuel will mean that many haulage businesses simply will not make it to Christmas.”

Massive vintage truck display at Gleneagle


Alongside the policy discussions inside, one of the country’s largest public commercial vehicle displays will take place outside the Gleneagle Hotel on Friday, September 4, and Saturday, September 5.
The outdoor exhibition will feature a major display of vintage trucks celebrating Ireland’s rich haulage heritage, while leading manufacturers and suppliers will showcase the latest heavy goods vehicles, trailers, and cutting-edge transport technology. The display will be open for public viewing across both days.

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

Push to protect Killarney bathing spots

Published

on

Push to protect Killarney bathing spots



Lochanna Beo is urging local swimmers and water enthusiasts to help identify popular bathing spots across Killarney’s lakes and rivers as part of a Kerry County Council public consultation.


The group is seeking official designation for heavily used local locations, including Dundag, Rosie’s Beach, and Colleen Bawn Rock on Muckross Lake, alongside Ross Bay and Victoria Bay on Lough Leane, to ensure they receive enhanced protection, safety infrastructure like life rings, and regular water quality monitoring under EU and Irish standards.
Highlighting the importance of official recognition, Valerie Harrington of Lochanna Beo said:
“Popular swimming spots in Killarney and local rivers deserve the extra protection, recognition and facilities that official designation can provide.”
Members of the public can submit their nominated bathing areas directly to Kerry County Council by emailing environ@kerrycoco.ie, writing to the Environment Department on Maine Street, Tralee, or contacting Lochanna Beo via lochannabeo.regening.ie.

The deadline for submissions is September 25.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport