Connect with us


The Killarney Rules: Important soccer laws came from meeting in Killarney in 1905



Tunisia v Serbia and Montenegro. August 17, 2004. The Olympic Games in Athens. Nikola Milojević hunkers down on his goal line with his hands on his knees.

Astoundingly, the Serbian goalkeeper is about to face his fourth penalty kick in just two minutes. With the game tied at 1-1, Tahitian referee Charles Ariiotima has already ordered Tunisia to retake their 78th-minute spot kick three times because of encroaching attackers. For his part, Tunisian midfielder Mohamed Jedidi cuts a fairly forlorn figure; he has now beaten Milojević three times without forcing a change on the scoreboard.

The mood around the stadium is one of incredulity.

The Tunisians have now (very dramatically) withdrawn all of their players from the vicinity of the penalty area, so there’s no threat of encroachment this time around. Surely this one will count?

Jedidi steps up… Milojević saves! The drama is over… Or is it?

The assistant on the endline has raised his flag. The Serbian No. 1 advanced from his goal line before the ball was kicked so Ariiotima is signalling for yet another retake.

Milojević puts his hands on his head and wheels away into his goal, completely dejected. The ref is surrounded by angry Serbians and Montenegrins. Andrija Delibašić squares up to the assistant and when Ariiotima intervenes, Delibašić genuinely looks as though he might actually kill him. The whole thing has descended into farce.

Take five. It’s Jedidi again. Up he steps… Another save! But Jedidi heads home the rebound! That’s the end of that!

Wait… The flag is up again. Milojević stepped off his line again. If Jedidi wants to give Tunisia the lead, he’ll have to do it at the sixth time of asking.

With 82:08 on the clock (four minutes after the initial penalty was awarded), Jedidi steps forward and smashes the ball into the bottom corner. He turns and looks anxiously at the referee, who points at the centre circle and calmly jogs back towards the halfway line.

Tunisia eventually run out 3-2 winners (neither side qualified for the knockout stages) and so endeth one of the most bizarre passages of play in the history of association football.


You’re probably wondering what all of this has to do with Killarney. What connects this crazy soccer incident involving a Serbian, a Tunisian and a Tahitian at the Athens Olympics, and a small town in County Kerry in the southwest of Ireland?

Well, on a balmy Saturday evening in June of 1905, the International Football Association Board convened at the Lake Hotel on the banks of Lough Leane where they decided, among other things, that goalkeepers must stand on their goal line for penalty kicks.

Since 1886, the IFAB have been the guardians of the Laws of the Game. Initially comprised of the four football associations of the “home nations” (England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales), the group is now made up of the four British football associations plus FIFA. They are the only body authorised to make changes to the rules that govern the game of soccer.

That AGM in Killarney in 1905 was the first time the IFAB met outside of the modern-day UK and they have only met in what is now the Republic of Ireland on one other occasion (Donegal in 1909).


The minutes of the Killarney meeting outline a number of significant rule changes, some of which are still in use to this day.

As well as the amendment which stipulates that a keeper must “not advance beyond his goal line” for penalties (the previous law simply stated that keepers must stand in their “goal area”, i.e. six-yard box), another notable “Killarney rule” changed how referees carried out a drop ball.

Prior to 1905, drop balls in soccer were actually more akin to hop balls in Gaelic football in that the referee threw the ball up into the air.

A motion proposing that the ball be dropped to the ground before players can challenge for it was passed in Killarney, and that law was in effect right up until last year when the IFAB removed the competitive element of the restart. The ball is still dropped to the floor, however, as has been the case since the landmark AGM in the Lake Hotel.

Another rule stipulating that goals may only be scored from certain free kicks was also agreed upon and this is still around, albeit in slightly different terms. Nowadays such free kicks would be classed as “direct”, while others would fall into the “indirect” category.

It was also decided that defenders had to stand at least six yards back from an opposition free kick (this was subsequently pushed back to 10 yards in 1913) and that the outer casing of footballs must be made of leather.


[caption id="attachment_32696" align="aligncenter" width="573"] The meetings of the IFAB meeting in Killarney in 1905.[/caption]


Some other minor resolutions were made on the night and after a vote of thanks was passed to presiding chairman DW Foy of the Irish FA, the meeting came to an end.

It’s amazing to think that our sleepy little town and the Lake Hotel played a small role in defining the global game. Whenever a goalkeeper strays from their line for a penalty, be it in a park in Lagos, or in the World Cup final, or on a beach in Rio de Janeiro, they’re breaking a rule that was made in Killarney.

It really is fascinating.

But maybe don’t mention it to Nikola Milojević.

Continue Reading


Detox Wrap will leave you feeling energised

It may be the last few weeks of the holidays but, it is no better time treat yourself to a body detox wrap. This wrap is suitable for males and […]




It may be the last few weeks of the holidays but, it is no better time treat yourself to a body detox wrap.

This wrap is suitable for males and females.
This wrap will boost your energy levels and make you feel like yourself again. Having loads of BBQs and nights out or feeling bloated and sluggish, unmotivated.
This wrap is a great way to boost energy by increasing lymphatic drainage, which helps the body’s natural detox system to release bad toxins. By aiding the lymphatic system and increasing the negative, harmful toxins. Your body will immediately start to feel better, more motivated, and increased energy. Your skin will feel better and bring your glow back.

The process is having sea clay applied all over the body, followed by bandages wrapped in a specific way to lift and firm the skin and finally you are tucked up in a heated blanket….. to sweat out the negative toxins. following the treatment, you have a three-day detox, no tea, coffee, fried fatty foods, fizzy drinks, processed foods or even a shower to leave the active clay and get to work on the lymphatic system.

This is a seriously great treatment, that really works if you follow the process. As the heat from the blanket helps to open your pores on the body the sea clay can go into the deep layers of the skin, when you unwrap the clay is trapped in the skin and its ingredients get to work.

Bentonite has excellent drainage properties for full detox and skin clarification.

Magnesium sulphate stimulates peripheral skin circulation, exfoliating and anti-inflammatory.
Magnesium Chloride has valuable mineral salt and permits cellular balance, combats stress and fluid retention, and has anti-bacterial properties.

Zinc oxide, bacterium properties and anti-inflammatory.

Sodium Chloride detoxifies tissues and tightens the skin.

They work best the longer they are left on the skin and the longer you detox. I wouldn’t claim a 2-hour treatment can do amazing results without the homework. The clay isn’t dirty looking on the skin, it looks more like a cloud of chalky dust on the outer skin, the active properties have been absorbed into the skin.
The skin may feel a little different while the clay is working, but the results are worth it. It’s a great treatment after weight loss, pregnancy, liposuction or just re-energises you as a whole.
for more information or to make an appointment call Jill at 064-6632966


Continue Reading


Puck Goat removed from platform in searing heat

Organisers of Puck Fair have taken King Puck down from his platform to protect the wild mountain goat from the heat. Today mark’s day two of the three-day fair in […]




Organisers of Puck Fair have taken King Puck down from his platform to protect the wild mountain goat from the heat.

Today mark’s day two of the three-day fair in Killorglin town. As part of the fair’s tradition a wild mountain goat presides over the town from his tall platform over the course of the three days.

Organisers employ a dedicated vet to look after the goat and a team of experienced goat handlers are also on duty for the duration of the festival.

There is also a temperature monitoring device on the platform.

As temperatures hit 29 degrees today (Thursday), the vet and handlers decided it was safer for the goat to be removed from the platform for the rest of the day.

“He is currently resting in the shade,” spokesperson Marcella O’Connor told the Killarney Advertiser. “The handlers were monitoring him in case it got too hot, the decision was made to take him down, and the vet says he is happy.”

A decision will be made tomorrow (Friday) on the goat’s return to the platform for the final day of the fair.


Continue Reading