Connect with us

Property & Finance

Insurance for cafes, coffee shops and restaurants




As the hospitality sector reopens for outdoor service followed shortly by indoor dining, I will outline the various covers and items to consider for cafes, coffee shops and restaurants.

Most insurers will apply different rates to each trade and usually will define based upon number of covers, type of food served, hours of trade and deep fat fryer usage.

Material damage cover for Buildings, fixtures and fittings, stock, computers, and other assets that your business owns. Covers will include fire, flood, escape of water, theft, and storm among other perils. Cover extensions are available such as fire brigade charges, signage and goods in transit.

Money cover. This is a standard section of all hospitality policies. It is likely we will see a culture change post pandemic due to reduced cash usage but the extent of this change is not yet known. For now hospitality policies will cover the loss of cash & cheques. The amount of cash covered can be increased depending on safe and security details. Personal assault cover can be included when carrying cash to the bank.

Employers, Public and Products liability. All hospitality insurances include liability cover. Employer’s liability is covered up to a maximum of €13 Million and depending on the business description can be based on employee numbers and/or wages. Public liability can be selected within a range of €1.3 million to €6.5 million and covers your legal liability in the event that you are negligent and required to pay compensation for bodily injuries or damage to third party property. Your trade & projected turnover will determine the rate charged. Products liability provides cover if someone is injured by a product that you have sold.

Business interruption covers consequential loss of gross profits following an insured event such as a fire. It is important to review your gross profits sum insured on an annual basis.

Other covers that can be added include seasonal increases in stock at specified times during the year, loss of licence cover, glass breakage, Cyber insurance, personal accident and many more.

It is crucial to review your policy annually checking the deep fat frying conditions, the cleaning of kitchen ducting conditions and fire protection conditions. Your policy should be tailored to your individual needs, so it pays to get expert advice from professionals who take the time to understand your business.



Cost of agricultural land set to increase by 8% this year

By Ted Healy of DNG TED HEALY The results of a survey on agricultural land values conducted by the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI) was published earlier this week. […]




By Ted Healy of DNG TED HEALY

The results of a survey on agricultural land values conducted by the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI) was published earlier this week.

It predicts an increase in land values by an average of 8% this year and an increase of 14% on average in rental values.

The report titled, ‘SCSI/Teagasc Agricultural Land Market Review & Outlook Report 2023’, analyses the agri sector performance over the past year and projects how it will perform over the next 12 months.

In all 134 agri professionals and valuers were surveyed, who expect the outlook for dairy farmers to ease and a challenging future for sheep and tillage farming.

Rental Land values in Munster increased by an average of 13% in the last year with a 9% increase experienced in Leinster.

The report indicates that the average non-residential farmland prices in 2022 ranged from €5,564 per acre for poor quality land – up five percent from €5,308 in 2021 – to €11,172 per acre for good quality land – up two percent from €10,962 the previous year. Strong demand from dairy farmers for good quality land is driving the market.

The majority of those surveyed believe there is likely to be an increase in demand from dairy farmers to purchase farmland in 2023.

One point to note however, is that changes to the European Nitrates Directive, particularly measures aimed at protecting water quality, may have an impact on land prices, especially rental prices.

In order to maintain current levels of milk production – and to comply with the directive – many dairy farms will need to either increase their land area or reduce milk production.

The Residential Zoned Land Tax (RZLT) is also coming down the line at an alarming rate, farmers have until May 1 to make a written appeal. Under the new legislation farmers owning currently zoned land face an annual tax bill of 3% of the market value of their zoned land.

This will result in countless numbers of landowners facing crippling tax bills from next year on. It is expected that this new tax may bring forward extra land sales later this year before the tax takes hold.

The IFA (Irish Farmers Association) have this week sought a senior counsel review of the legislation governing the Residential Zoned Land Tax.


Continue Reading


What is a Fire Safety Certificate?

By John Healy of Healy Insurances A Fire Safety Certificate is an official document that verifies if a building design submitted as part of an application will, if constructed in […]




By John Healy of Healy Insurances

A Fire Safety Certificate is an official document that verifies if a building design submitted as part of an application will, if constructed in accordance with the plans and specifications approved by the Building Control Authority, comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations.

Fire Safety Certificates are issued by a Building Control Authority. The certificate confirms that the building has adequate escape facilities and that the building is designed in a way that prevents and limits the spread of fire. While all buildings must comply with the fire regulations, not all buildings will need a Fire Safety Certificate.

Which developments require a Fire Safety Certificate?

The Building Control Act (1990 & 2007) specifies the development types that require Fire Safety Certificates:

· Works in connection with the design and construction of a new building
· Works in connection with the material alteration of a day centre, a building containing a flat, a hotel, hostel or guest building, an institutional building, a place of assembly, a shopping centre
· Works in connection with the material alteration of a shop, office or industrial building where additional floor area is being provided within the existing building or where the building is being sub-divided into a number of units for separate occupancy
· Works in connection with the extension of a building by more than 25 square metres
· A building as regards which a material change of use takes place.

Some developments are exempted from requiring a Fire Certificate and can include:

· Certain single storey agricultural buildings
· A building used as a dwelling (other than a flat)
· A single storey domestic garage
· A single storey building ancillary to a dwelling which is used exclusively for recreational or storage purposes or the keeping of plants, birds or animals for domestic purposes and is not used for any trade or business or for human habitation
· Works in connection with a Garda station, a courthouse, a barracks and certain government buildings.

If a building is inspected by a member of the building control authority and it transpired that no Fire Safety Certificate is in place, the building could be subject to closure. For more information see


Continue Reading