Connect with us

News

Tragic mountaineer laid to rest

Published

on

0231484_croppedcroppedjohndunnekerrymountainrescueteamFB.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

The man who died while climbing Carrauntoohil last week was laid to rest on Thursday in his native Tipperary.

John Dunne was reported missing on Wednesday June 1 after he failed to return to his accommodation on time.

A massive search and rescue operation was launched at first light on Thursday morning.

Up to 30 members of Killarney Mountain Rescue Team, Gardai, Rescue 117 Helicopter were involved in the search.

Despite an extensive search of the Lisleibane area of Beaufort the rescuers failed to find Mr Dunne and the operation was stood down at night fall.

It resumed the following morning and by midday a body was found in the area. It is understood Mr Dunne took a fall and died instantly.

“An Garda Síochána would like to thank the Kerry Mountain Rescue, those who assisted with the search, and public for their assistance in this matter,” said a Garda statement.

Mr Dunne was an experienced mountaineer and was a regular visitor to the area where he had extended family.

John’s funeral mass took place at Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles on Thursday.
He will will be greatly missed by his heartbroken family; wife Mary, son Eoin, brothers Joe and Ned and a wide circle of extended family and friends.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Killarney hotels are still open for business

By Sean Moriarty Only a few of the town’s 37 hotels are homing displaced people – according to Bernadette Randles, chair of the Kerry branch of the Irish Hotel Federation. […]

Published

on

0245297_23.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

Only a few of the town’s 37 hotels are homing displaced people – according to Bernadette Randles, chair of the Kerry branch of the Irish Hotel Federation.

This week she said that there’s still accommodation to be found in Killarney for visitors.

She was speaking in relation to the current accommodation situation facing International Protection Applicants and Ukrainian war refugees.

She explained that there is a perception that Killarney has taken in too many refugees and that it is putting the tourism industry at risk as people are starting to think that the town is at full capacity.

“If you can’t get a room in Killarney there is something wrong,” she said. “Maybe with the exception of New Year’s Eve.”

She added that hotels that are providing emergency accommodation are helping off-season unemployment.

Many hotels remain in survival mode after two years of pandemic turmoil and the additional off season business is important, she explained.

“Many could be closed at this time of the year, others would not be operating at full capacity,” she added.

However, she warned the Government needs to put a plan in place before the tourism season starts next year. Some hotels offering emergency accommodation either have a three or six month contract.

“I can see there will be tears next April – the Government must have a long-term plan,” she said.

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

Homing refugees worth almost €14m

By Sean Moriarty Hotels, B&Bs and other accommodation suppliers in the Killarney area have secured contracts in excess of €13 million to accommodate Ukraine war refugees. The Department of Children, […]

Published

on

0245432_TABLE.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

Hotels, B&Bs and other accommodation suppliers in the Killarney area have secured contracts in excess of €13 million to accommodate Ukraine war refugees.

The Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth released figures to the Killarney Advertiser.

Documents show that contracts totalling €13,852,255.00 are being shared between 13 premises in the Killarney urban area.

However, the department warned these figures are “indicative” only and the full value of the contracts depends on “occupancy and actual usage”.

The Eviston Hotel has secured a contract worth €5,727,590.00, the Innisfallen Hotel in Fossa for €2,404,620.00 and The Hotel Killarney signed a deal worth €1,701,000.00. These are the three biggest contracts published in the documentation.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, and Department officials say more contracts could come on stream. Figures seen by the Killarney Advertiser only cover contracted premises up to the end of September this year and updated figures are only released every three months.

“We are in contract with far more, but the formal exchange of contracts can take place sometime after the service commences,” a department spokesperson told the Killarney Advertiser.

“The Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth is obliged to publish a list of contracts formally signed off each quarter that have been awarded under a special EU Derogation that permits the Department to enter into contracts in the context of the Ukraine accommodation crisis without going to formal tender.

“The values of the contracts shown are estimates; the actual value materialises upon occupancy and actual usage. Standard contracts have no-fault break clauses available to both parties so again, the figures are indicative rather than actual.”

These figures only cover Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war and do not include International Protection Applicants.

The Department refused to release International Protection Applicant figures to the Killarney Advertiser.

“The International Protection Applicant accommodation contract information is commercially sensitive information and is not available,” added the Department spokesperson.

Attachments

Continue Reading

LOCAL ADS

Last News

Advertisement

Sport

Trending