Connect with us

News

Taoiseach to arrange investigation into Kilcummin Sewerage Scheme

Published

on

By Michelle Crean

Taoiseach is Micheál Martin has this week said that he will “have the matter investigated” when questioned about the huge delays and cost of the Kilcummin Sewerage Scheme.

The scheme, which was last week heavily criticised by Cllr Marie Moloney following an online meeting with Irish Water – was raised during Leader’s Questions in the Dáil on Tuesday by Danny Healy-Rae TD.

For 21 years the people of Kilcummin – the largest parish in the country – have been trying to progress with the scheme but have been left angered by the many setbacks along the way, the latest the exclusion 40 houses in the area; two roads at Rahanes via Mass Rock and via the graveyard, as well as the road through Tangneys Cross and another towards the GAA Club.

Originally expected to cost €1.2m, the latest figure stands at €9m for the scheme, and Cllr Moloney fears that if plans for connection in late 2022 don’t go ahead that it could drive the cost up even more.

“The sanctioning of the scheme is important,” Taoiseach Micheál Martin said in his reply to Mr Healy-Rae.

“We will talk to Irish Water to get submissions from the residents and see if something can be done here because when we put in infrastructure we want to make it comprehensive. We do not want to have to go back again in a few years’ time to upgrade or redo it. I will have the matter investigated.”

Deputy Healy-Rae added that “the Government will have to fund Irish Water properly” and that the “five Deputies from Kerry need to meet”.

“The municipal members of the Killarney municipal area want to meet the Minister, Deputy Darragh O’Brien, about this. We will not take no for an answer.”

On Tuesday morning a special meeting of Killarney Municipal District was also held, via MS Teams, to discuss the issue, during which the Council agreed to write to all TDs and the minister.

“We would like to have a meeting with the minister as it’s a very important issue,” Cllr Marie Moloney, who last week said she was left “disappointed and dismayed” following a meeting with Irish Water, told the Killarney Advertiser.

She said if Irish Water had at the time laid the pipes it would have cost €3,900 for each connection but it now stands at €150k per every one hundred metres.


“They should be incentivising people. The cost of the scheme also now stands at €9m, my worry is that the money will be pulled if they don’t get on with it. We keep waiting and waiting.”

News

Green light for teen accommodation

By Michelle Crean  Plans for sheltered accommodation to house homeless teenagers in foster care have been given the go ahead. An Bord Pleanala has approved a three-storey building in Flemings Lane just off High Street, which will have eight bedrooms, two one bedroom apartments and one two bedroom apartment. The teens living within the premises […]

Published

on

0203390_.JPG

By Michelle Crean
 

Plans for sheltered accommodation to house homeless teenagers in foster care have been given the go ahead.

An Bord Pleanala has approved a three-storey building in Flemings Lane just off High Street, which will have eight bedrooms, two one bedroom apartments and one two bedroom apartment.

The teens living within the premises will be supervised by applicant Eileen O’Brien who will live on the ground floor of the premises.

The two one-bed apartments on the second floor would either be rented out or used for independent living for the teenagers as they reach adulthood.

The two-bed apartment will be on the third floor. There are also plans for balconies at second and third floor levels.

The proposed apartment building is contemporary in design with a mix of stone and render finish on the lower floors and synthetic burned timber finish on the upper floors. The second floor is recessed at the front and the third floor is recessed at the front and the rear with a decorative feature on the front elevation comprising dark grey timber steel poles. The building will also have a flat roof.

Planning permission was granted subject to 14 conditions including a two-metre high boundary wall to be constructed on south, south-western boundaries of the site and there’s to be no overnight commercial guest accommodation.

Continue Reading

News

Fans return to Fitzgerald Stadium after eight months

By Sean Moriarty Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game. Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the […]

Published

on

0203238_Patrick_OSullivan_and_Colm_Cooper_2.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game.

Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the first game at the stadium since the 2020 Kerry Petroleum Intermediate Club Football Championship Quarter-Final when Glenbeigh-Glencar played Beaufort on October 4 last year.

Due to current restrictions only 200 fans were allowed attend Saturday’s big match. That will remain in place for Kerry’s opening Munster Championship tie with Clare on June 26.

“It had been more than eight months since Fitzgerald Stadium welcomed back fans to the venue,” stadium PRO Tatyana McGough told the Killarney Advertiser. “Everything went exceptionally well.”

She is hopeful that more restrictions will be eased on July 5, paving the way for an increase in capacity to 500 fans in time for the July 25 Munster Final.

“It is likely that from July 5 up to 500 spectators may be permitted to attend games. We hope this number will increase for the Munster Final. If it is a Cork versus Kerry Munster Final the game will be fixed for Sunday July 25 at 4pm in the Fitzgerald Stadium. The stadium’s staff are very confident in being able to host any number of fans that may be allowed.”

Continue Reading

News

Garda appeal to park legally at beaches and public amenities

Published

on

An Garda Siochana is appealing to the public to park legally in designated car parks and spaces when visiting beaches, beauty spots and other public amenities. 

The good weather has seen an increase in dangerous illegal parking at these locations across the country in recent weeks. An Garda Siochana wants people to enjoy the summer but do so safely.

Parking illegally can lead to unnecessary risk and dangers such as pedestrians being forced to walk along dangerous roads. It can also prevent emergency services from gaining access to these amenities a seaside locations which could lead to the loss of life. 

“We encourage the public to plan their journeys and think safety first when parking your vehicle,” the Gardai said in a statement. 

“The outcome of parking illegally could be far more serious than a FCPN or vehicle towing and puts others and your own life at risk. 

An Garda Siochana reminds and encourages the public to social distance and follow public health guidelines when attending these locations this Summer.

An Garda Siochana is also supporting National Water Safety Awareness Week (June 14th – 20th). Information on this campaign and general water safety can be found on Water Safety Irelands Website – www.watersafety.ie/national-water-safety-awareness-week/

Continue Reading

Trending