Connect with us

News

Main St to close to traffic until late December

Published

on

ROAD DAMAGE: Cllr Brendan Cronin highlighted the poor condition of the paving on Main Street in March. Photo: Grigoriy Geniyevskiy

By Sean Moriarty

Main St will close to traffic from next Tuesday until the end of December for re-paving works.

The works, which are part of the agreed Killarney Municipal District Works Programme for 2020, will take place in phases over several weeks with every effort being made to limit disruption for local businesses, shoppers and pedestrians.

An investment of €100,000 is required for the replacement of the granite paving blocks on the carriageway along the street.

The works, which will be substantially completed by the end of next month will require an additional bedding in period and it is expected the street will not re-open fully until the end of December.

However, the street will remain fully open for pedestrians and localised deliveries will be facilitated.

“Local businesses were briefed on the project which, on completion, will require approximately one month to allow the new surface to bed in. It is envisaged that the street will reopen to vehicular traffic at the end of December,” said a Council statement.

Cllr Brendan Cronin, the Mayor of Killarney, called for these works to be done at a Council meeting earlier this year and welcomed the news. He asked the people of Killarney to be patient while the works are going on.

“There is no good time to do works like this, but with the lockdown in place this is the best of any time to do this. Anyone involved in construction will tell you that concrete does need time to settle,” he told the Killarney Advertiser.

The original granite brick surface on the street is over a decade old and the commitment to repair the road surface was contained in the recently adopted Works Programme for 2020. Small sections of the carriageway (roadway) will be completed during each phase of the work and access to all local business will remain fully open to pedestrians at all times.

Traffic diversions will be in place via The Ha-Ha, East Avenue Road and Mission Road.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Fat dissolving injections target stubborn areas

By Jill O’Donoghue from Killarney Toning and Beauty Studio It may sound too good to be true but fat dissolving injections are as effective as the name suggests. They are […]

Published

on

0235847_Jill_O_Donoghue_1000x600.jpg

By Jill O’Donoghue from Killarney Toning and Beauty Studio

It may sound too good to be true but fat dissolving injections are as effective as the name suggests.

They are administered by our in-house Dr. Micheal Flynn who has been attending our salon for the past 10 years. It is the double chin and neck area that is treated and is suitable for both men and women. If you haven’t heard of fat dissolving, it is a very popular and relatively new treatment that is used to target stubborn pockets of fat on the jaw line and chin area. The injection dissolves and eliminates fat cells in a safe and effective way, making it perfect for dealing with stubborn fat that simply won’t budge with exercise.

The main ingredient is a fat dissolving substance sodium deoxycholate, which is found naturally in the body. This is injected into the treatment area which over time will destroy the fat cells. These are then removed from the body by its own lymphatic system, a complex network that rids the body of unwanted toxins and waste.

It is important to understand that fat dissolving injections are not a weight loss treatment. The injections should only be used on people who are a healthy size or carrying a little extra weight. It’s most effective on the pockets of fat stored under the jawline, known as the double chin, a migration of fat cells from the cheeks to the jaw line.

The injections work at a slow pace. It can take serval weeks for full results, but once it’s gone, it’s gone. The results are permanent, once you don’t gain a massive amount of weight.

The next clinic is Monday August 22. To book an appointment or more information, call Jill on 064 6632966.

Continue Reading

News

Classic tractor drivers to embark on 400km drive to Killarney

By Sean Moriarty Six members of the Killarney Valley Classic and Vintage Club will set out from County Meath on Wednesday on vintage tractors. They are participating in the annual […]

Published

on

0235949_16362141114854819778.jpeg

By Sean Moriarty

Six members of the Killarney Valley Classic and Vintage Club will set out from County Meath on Wednesday on vintage tractors.

They are participating in the annual Eastern Vintage Club’s Ring of Kerry Tractor Run which is raising funds for the Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

Over 50 vintage tractors, including the six Killarney examples, will leave Nobber in County Meath at lunchtime on Wednesday.

After an overnight stop in the midlands on Wednesday night and Newcastle West on Thursday night, the tractors are expected in Killarney town centre just after lunchtime on Friday.

The ‘spectacular show’, now a regular feature of the Killarney summer, will bring the town to a standstill for around one hour.

On Saturday morning the group will depart Tony Wharton’s farm in Fossa before a nine-hour drive around the Ring of Kerry.

The run will finish with a spectacular drive through the Gap of Dunloe.

“We hope to pass through town around 3.30pm on Friday,” said local organiser, Tom Wharton, who is one of the six Killarney-based drivers who will undertake the 400km journey from County Meath to Killarney. “It is always a spectacular show.”

On arrival in Killarney, tractors will be joined by a group of classic cars that will depart Nobber at 9am that morning.

Attachments

Continue Reading

LOCAL ADS

Last News

Advertisement

Sport

Trending