Connect with us

News

Jessie does justice playing Shakespeare’s Juliet

Published

on

B

By Michelle Crean

The love story of 'Romeo and Juliet' completely reimagined and starring Killarney actress Jessie Buckley has been capturing the imaginations of viewers, and was praised by critics, this week. Jessie plays the lead role of "Juliet" in the Shakespeare classic on Sky Arts and stars alongside English actor Josh O’Connor who became a household name for his role as Prince Charles in the 'The Crown'.

Plans for the original stage version at the National Theatre in London were shelved due to COVID and instead creators of this contemporary version opted instead for a film version.

This bold new film brings to life the remarkable backstage spaces of the National Theatre in which desire, dreams and destiny collide to make Shakespeare’s romantic tragedy sing in an entirely new way.

However, it wasn't all plain sailing by any means due to the pandemic and the Shakespeare's greatest story about star crossed lovers which made it difficult for the actors to get so close as they were tested every three days for COVID.

“It wasn’t a theatre piece, and it wasn’t a film piece. I’ve never been in a situation where from the beginning of rehearsals, the cinematographer is in complete collaboration with you,” Buckley told the Television Critics Association’s Winter Press Tour. “Even though the space and the lens and the theatrical space is smaller, the emotional space, especially with this story, is huge. This love is massive.”

'Romeo and Juliet' will be available to view on Sky Arts until May 4 and will premiere in the US at 9pm Friday April 23 on PBS.

Jessie's next project is horror movie 'Men' directed and written by Alex Garland and has just started production.

Advertisement

News

Rathmore students finish runners-up in national SciFest finals

Scoil Phobail Sliabh Luachra in Rathmore is celebrating a major success after students Eoin Cashman and Alex Thompson were named overall runners-up at the National SciFest finals held in Marino […]

Published

on

Scoil Phobail Sliabh Luachra in Rathmore is celebrating a major success after students Eoin Cashman and Alex Thompson were named overall runners-up at the National SciFest finals held in Marino College, Dublin last week.

The pair also won the Regeneron International Science & Engineering Award and will now represent Ireland at the world finals in Phoenix, Arizona in 2026.
Their project, titled Dust Dynamics: Analysing Planetary Bodies through the Ballistic Motion of Lofted Dust Particles, examined how the movement of dust can reveal key information about a planet’s environment, including atmospheric density and gravity. As part of their study, they analysed footage of dust thrown up by the Lunar Roving Vehicle during the Apollo 16 mission in 1972. Using online software and physics calculations learned in school, they estimated the moon’s gravitational acceleration to 1.72 m/s², within 6.7% of the accepted value.
The national finals featured projects assessed by judges from scientific and engineering fields. More than 16,000 students entered SciFest 2025, making the duo’s achievement a significant milestone. Their teacher Kevin McCarthy mentored the project, and the school says the students’ work could be applied to footage from other planetary missions in the future.

Continue Reading

News

Chamber’s emphasis on cyber security

  Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to taketo ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies. Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted […]

Published

on

 

Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to take
to ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies.

Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted a very informative breakfast
briefing in the International Hotel at which they keynote speakers were cyber security
experts Mike Dennehy and Ger McAuliffe from progressive local company Tricel.
The opening question at the event was how will a business operate tomorrow if it
loses access to its data today?
Mike and Ger recommended that all employers to include IT training as part of the
induction programme for new entrants, organise monthly awareness training for all
employees and to conduct monthly spot-checks to ensure everything is going
according to plan.
It was essential, they pointed out not to give the same level of access to all
employees to reduce risk and to devise a disaster recovery plan in case it is needed.
Companies have also been advised not to allow the public to use their private wi-fi
network and, instead, to set up a public or guest network.
Chamber thanked the experts from Tricel for their engaging talk which certainly put
the spotlight very firmly on the need to enhance cyber security measures.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport