Connect with us

News

Linden House: Renewed criticism of ‘absence of communication’ from Department of Justice

Published

on

A

AS 14 ASYLUM SEEKERS move into Linden House in Killarney, two members of Kerry County Council have said they will be joining forces with the Killarney Asylum Seekers Initiative (KASI) to help ensure the new residents are supported and successfully integrated into the community. But the councillors, Cllrs Niall Kelleher, mayor of Killarney Municipal District, and Cllr John Joe Culloty told Killarney Advertiser this evening they were unhappy with the absence of communication from the Department of Justice with the community.

Cllr Kelleher and Cllr Culloty met with the owner and management of the facility today. “We met with them this afternoon to discuss all concerns which have been expressed to us over the past few days,” they stated.

“We are not happy with the process in which this matter was dealt with by the Department of Justice, especially the absence of any communication. We are addressing this with the Department and it is not a matter for the residents of Linden House. As elected representatives we felt it appropriate to visit the facility to get all the facts which we now have and can relay to the wider community."

They added: “We now have an open line of communication with the management of Linden House and they have committed to work with us and deal with any concerns into the future.”

There are currently two other asylum facilities in Killarney, one female-only residence and another family-only residence. This facility will be male-only, as it was previously, noted the councillors. It will cater for a maximum of 55 residents and will be staffed 24/7. “We queried the engagement with the relevant agencies and we can confirm that the gardaí and the community policing personal have already visited the facility and will liaise with the management, staff and residents on an ongoing bases,” added the councillors’ statement.

“The HSE and community welfare office are scheduled to visit tomorrow and met with all the residents.”

The management of Linden House work closely with the Killarney Asylum Seekers Initiative (KASI). “We will also be making contact with KASI to assist in every way possible to ensure the new residents are supported and successfully integrated into the community,” stated Cllrs Culloty and Kelleher.

Advertisement

News

Killarney marks 20 years since the rally that inspired Ireland BikeFest

Published

on

By

Ireland BikeFest returns to Killarney from 29 to 31 May, marking 20 years since the 2006 European HOG Rally that originally brought the festival to the town.

What began as a one-off European Harley-Davidson event in 2006 led to the launch of Ireland BikeFest the following year.

It has since grown into Ireland’s largest free open motorcycle and music festival, drawing visitors annually from across Ireland, the UK, and Europe over the June Bank Holiday weekend.


“Twenty years ago, Killarney fell head-over-wheels in love with the biking community,” says Patrick O’Donoghue, Chairman of Ireland BikeFest.


“There was something electric about that first rally in 2006. The sound, the atmosphere, the camaraderie and the town embraced it completely. Ireland BikeFest grew from that connection and twenty years later the relationship is stronger than ever.”


The 2026 anniversary festival will feature the purpose-built Bike Village at the Gleneagle, guided ride-outs along the Wild Atlantic Way, live music, a Custom Bike Show, and the traditional Sunday bike parade through the streets of Killarney.


Supported by Harley-Davidson, the Gleneagle, and Fáilte Ireland, the event remains free and open to all riders, bikes, and visitors. For more information, visitwww.irelandbikefest.com.

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

Two local connections secure top spots in Hot Press Readers’ Poll

Published

on

By

Killarney took pride of place in both the film and literary categories of this year’s ‘Hot Press’ Readers’ Poll, with local connections winning two of the main national awards.

The Best Film award went to Hamnet , starring Killarney actress Jessie Buckley. Buckley’s performance as Agnes Shakespeare in the feature adaptation has been a major success, and Hot Press readers have now voted it their favourite movie of the year.


Meanwhile, author Joseph O’Connor won the Best Book category with his latest novel, The Ghosts of Rome.

O’Connor has a strong historical link to the area, as his recent books are based on Killarney humanitarian Monsignor Hugh O’Flaherty and his wartime exploits in Rome.

O’Connor has long championed the legacy of the Killarney native, whose memorial statue stands in the town centre.

Attachments

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport