Connect with us

News

Protest planned as community lashes out at lack of consultation on asylum seeker plan

Published

on

J

JUST days ahead of the confirmation that Linden House would be used as an accommodation centre for asylum seekers, Kerry County Council member Donal Grady had called for the property to open its doors to homeless people in Killarney.

Speaking to Killarney Advertiser, the former mayor of Killarney said: “The council should open up Linden House on New Road to homeless people and not send these people to Tralee. We should look after our own first. There are at least 25 homeless people in Killarney at the moment and people who are homeless in this town continue to be sent to Tralee for accommodation. We are miles behind other counties when it comes to catering for homeless people.”

Cllr Grady is now planning a protest at the former hotel on New Road, next week. “We have fulfilled our duty in Killarney, re asylum seekers,” he said.

Referring to the fact that the road features four schools, Cllr Grady said a number of parents had been in touch with him in relation to the protest and added: “This proposal by whom is not known as yet is where our children and grandchildren are going to school.”

Linden House, he added, was a property “lying idle”. “Shame on us for not doing something,” he said. “People are sleeping rough or are being sent to Tralee.”

The use of the former hotel in Killarney to house 55 asylum seekers has sparked concerns at a lack of consultation.

The Department of Justice has confirmed Linden House, which was formerly used as a direct provision centre, has been refurbished and will become home to people currently in the asylum and refugee process.

It declined to comment on the breakdown of age, gender or country of origin of those that will be accommodated in Killarney.

Kerry Independent TD Michael Healy-Rae said he believed the group of 55 comprises “all males of mixed nationality who have made applications for international protection”.

He told Killarney Advertiser: “I believe the local authority and local community should have been consulted on this important matter as to who these people are, where they are coming from and what is the expected plan for long term housing, as it seems like a large concentration of people in the one location. I share the concerns of the people who have been in contact with me about this matter."

Deputy Healy-Rae added: "As these people will only be housed in temporary accommodation, I believe that a number of these people may seek social housing in time, which would be only putting increased pressure on an already large waiting list for housing in Killarney and Kerry."

Advertisement

News

Killarney marks 20 years since the rally that inspired Ireland BikeFest

Published

on

By

Ireland BikeFest returns to Killarney from 29 to 31 May, marking 20 years since the 2006 European HOG Rally that originally brought the festival to the town.

What began as a one-off European Harley-Davidson event in 2006 led to the launch of Ireland BikeFest the following year.

It has since grown into Ireland’s largest free open motorcycle and music festival, drawing visitors annually from across Ireland, the UK, and Europe over the June Bank Holiday weekend.


“Twenty years ago, Killarney fell head-over-wheels in love with the biking community,” says Patrick O’Donoghue, Chairman of Ireland BikeFest.


“There was something electric about that first rally in 2006. The sound, the atmosphere, the camaraderie and the town embraced it completely. Ireland BikeFest grew from that connection and twenty years later the relationship is stronger than ever.”


The 2026 anniversary festival will feature the purpose-built Bike Village at the Gleneagle, guided ride-outs along the Wild Atlantic Way, live music, a Custom Bike Show, and the traditional Sunday bike parade through the streets of Killarney.


Supported by Harley-Davidson, the Gleneagle, and Fáilte Ireland, the event remains free and open to all riders, bikes, and visitors. For more information, visitwww.irelandbikefest.com.

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

Two local connections secure top spots in Hot Press Readers’ Poll

Published

on

By

Killarney took pride of place in both the film and literary categories of this year’s ‘Hot Press’ Readers’ Poll, with local connections winning two of the main national awards.

The Best Film award went to Hamnet , starring Killarney actress Jessie Buckley. Buckley’s performance as Agnes Shakespeare in the feature adaptation has been a major success, and Hot Press readers have now voted it their favourite movie of the year.


Meanwhile, author Joseph O’Connor won the Best Book category with his latest novel, The Ghosts of Rome.

O’Connor has a strong historical link to the area, as his recent books are based on Killarney humanitarian Monsignor Hugh O’Flaherty and his wartime exploits in Rome.

O’Connor has long championed the legacy of the Killarney native, whose memorial statue stands in the town centre.

Attachments

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport