Connect with us

News

Students thought-provoking lockdown diary wins award

Published

on


AWARD: Students from The Sem, Gearoid Mulvihill, Kacper Bogalecki (Film Director), Colm Looney, Jason Lee, Patrick Kearney, Jack Lynch, Dara O’Callaghan, Cian McMahon, Jack O’Sullivan, pictured with Sean Coffey (Principal), are delighted to win a film award this week.



By Michelle Crean


A thought-provoking nine minute long video made by local students to share their lockdown experience has won a Youth Film Festival award.



Students from St Brendan’s College learned of the news on Saturday last online that their entry won the First Cut! Youth Film Festival Best Schools Film Award.

“We were delighted to hear this and we’re very thankful to all those who helped us make this film a reality,” Fifth Year student Kacper Bogalecki told the Killarney Advertiser.
During last year’s lockdown, the then group of TY students got together in hopes of making a thought-provoking film to answer the question, “Would it be ethical to return to how things were before COVID-19?”.

“We met twice a week on Zoom for many months where we shared our lockdown experiences and simply used this moment to have a little chat. We wanted to get something done towards the end of our TY programme, and perhaps undertake a meaningful project. I think during lockdown we all had a chance to reflect on our lives and become more aware of what’s going on around us.”

Cognisant of the major on-going world problems which were present before the pandemic struck, he said that they wanted to bring the viewers’ attention to these issues and why fundamental change is needed.

“With the help of Kerry Filmmaker in Residence, Mieke Vanmechelen, and our teacher Niamh Sheehy, we created the film titled, ‘The Sem Film Project’ highlighting the effects of climate change, war, and of course, the ongoing spread of COVID-19,” he said.

“Through our film, we also wanted to illustrate the value of solidarity and the importance of community spirit by documenting our daily lives whilst living in isolation. Moreover, we hoped that our film would serve as a diary of how, and what young people were doing at the beginning of the pandemic when we were all first thrust into the new normal in which we live today.”

The film can be watched on YouTube by searching ‘The Sem Film Project’. 

News

Green light for teen accommodation

By Michelle Crean  Plans for sheltered accommodation to house homeless teenagers in foster care have been given the go ahead. An Bord Pleanala has approved a three-storey building in Flemings Lane just off High Street, which will have eight bedrooms, two one bedroom apartments and one two bedroom apartment. The teens living within the premises […]

Published

on

0203390_.JPG

By Michelle Crean
 

Plans for sheltered accommodation to house homeless teenagers in foster care have been given the go ahead.

An Bord Pleanala has approved a three-storey building in Flemings Lane just off High Street, which will have eight bedrooms, two one bedroom apartments and one two bedroom apartment.

The teens living within the premises will be supervised by applicant Eileen O’Brien who will live on the ground floor of the premises.

The two one-bed apartments on the second floor would either be rented out or used for independent living for the teenagers as they reach adulthood.

The two-bed apartment will be on the third floor. There are also plans for balconies at second and third floor levels.

The proposed apartment building is contemporary in design with a mix of stone and render finish on the lower floors and synthetic burned timber finish on the upper floors. The second floor is recessed at the front and the third floor is recessed at the front and the rear with a decorative feature on the front elevation comprising dark grey timber steel poles. The building will also have a flat roof.

Planning permission was granted subject to 14 conditions including a two-metre high boundary wall to be constructed on south, south-western boundaries of the site and there’s to be no overnight commercial guest accommodation.

Continue Reading

News

Fans return to Fitzgerald Stadium after eight months

By Sean Moriarty Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game. Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the […]

Published

on

0203238_Patrick_OSullivan_and_Colm_Cooper_2.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game.

Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the first game at the stadium since the 2020 Kerry Petroleum Intermediate Club Football Championship Quarter-Final when Glenbeigh-Glencar played Beaufort on October 4 last year.

Due to current restrictions only 200 fans were allowed attend Saturday’s big match. That will remain in place for Kerry’s opening Munster Championship tie with Clare on June 26.

“It had been more than eight months since Fitzgerald Stadium welcomed back fans to the venue,” stadium PRO Tatyana McGough told the Killarney Advertiser. “Everything went exceptionally well.”

She is hopeful that more restrictions will be eased on July 5, paving the way for an increase in capacity to 500 fans in time for the July 25 Munster Final.

“It is likely that from July 5 up to 500 spectators may be permitted to attend games. We hope this number will increase for the Munster Final. If it is a Cork versus Kerry Munster Final the game will be fixed for Sunday July 25 at 4pm in the Fitzgerald Stadium. The stadium’s staff are very confident in being able to host any number of fans that may be allowed.”

Continue Reading

News

Garda appeal to park legally at beaches and public amenities

Published

on

An Garda Siochana is appealing to the public to park legally in designated car parks and spaces when visiting beaches, beauty spots and other public amenities. 

The good weather has seen an increase in dangerous illegal parking at these locations across the country in recent weeks. An Garda Siochana wants people to enjoy the summer but do so safely.

Parking illegally can lead to unnecessary risk and dangers such as pedestrians being forced to walk along dangerous roads. It can also prevent emergency services from gaining access to these amenities a seaside locations which could lead to the loss of life. 

“We encourage the public to plan their journeys and think safety first when parking your vehicle,” the Gardai said in a statement. 

“The outcome of parking illegally could be far more serious than a FCPN or vehicle towing and puts others and your own life at risk. 

An Garda Siochana reminds and encourages the public to social distance and follow public health guidelines when attending these locations this Summer.

An Garda Siochana is also supporting National Water Safety Awareness Week (June 14th – 20th). Information on this campaign and general water safety can be found on Water Safety Irelands Website – www.watersafety.ie/national-water-safety-awareness-week/

Continue Reading

Trending