Connect with us

News

Safe Streets plan now faces county wide challenge

Published

on

E

EXCLUSIVE

Sean Moriarty

 

The town’s Safe Streets programme is set to face a second challenge tomorrow (Monday).

 

Last week, the Killarney Advertiser was the first local media outlet to reveal that Cllr Donal Grady was seeking legal advice on the Safe Streets programme.

Grady believes that the programme, which involves the widening of footpaths in the town centre and the closure of Plunkett St and Kenmare Place to traffic, is Kerry County Council’s covert way of introducing pedestrianisation to the town centre without proper consultation with elected members, the public and town centre businesses.

The Council argues that the plan is in place to allow social distancing in the centre as the county continues to battle COVID-19.

At last week’s Killarney Municipal District meeting several other elected councillors expressed their anger at the way the plan has been executed and the way Kerry County Council has communicated changes to the plan.

Cllr Jackie Healy-Rae, who is elected in the Castleisland Municipal District, is set to challenge the Safe Streets plan in every town in the county at tomorrow’s meeting of Kerry County Council’s executive and elected members.

He will ask: “How much has the Town Centre Mobility Plans cost Kerry County Council to date. How much of this was funded by Kerry County Council's own resources and how much was drawn down in grants. Can a breakdown of the cost be given per Municipal District and a breakdown given on what the money was spent on, listing all materials and their quantities i.e. bollards, machinery, labour costs, and anything else. Can this be given per Municipal District also. Please include any funding paid to outside contractors for the purpose of the Town Centre Mobility Plan.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Relief as indoor dining finally resumes

By Michelle Crean After almost 500 days of closures the sense of relief was evident this week as restaurants, cafés and bars were finally allowed to welcome customers back in. Some had reopened for outdoor dining previously to help keep their businesses afloat but it was back to normal on Monday. According to the new […]

Published

on

0206059_IMG9176.jpg

By Michelle Crean

After almost 500 days of closures the sense of relief was evident this week as restaurants, cafés and bars were finally allowed to welcome customers back in.

Some had reopened for outdoor dining previously to help keep their businesses afloat but it was back to normal on Monday.

According to the new rules as set out by Fáilte Ireland and the Government, in order for customers to access indoor service, they must show proof that they are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 in the past six months. Those who are not yet vaccinated can only be served outside.

A maximum of six people aged 13 and over are allowed per table and it’s advised that face coverings be worn when not at the table, there is no time limit, customers can only eat or drink at a table and not at the bar or counter, and one person must give their details for contract tracing purposes. Live music and dancing is not allowed.

The Killarney Advertiser spoke to a number of businesses this week and overall the feeling was relief that they can finally get back to normal service but the issue of staffing still remains.

Brian Murphy from Courtney’s Bar said he was feeling nervous.

“I’m feeling nervous as we don’t have enough staff,” he said. “It’s a Monday so hopefully we can cope. Things will settle down and we’ll find a level we are all happy with.”

At the Porterhouse Restaurant Lee O’Callaghan said “It’s great to be back open and have people coming into the restaurant”.

“Hopefully we have a long season after being closed for so long.”

Staff at Reidy’s, Ellen Shannon, Rory Carroll and Jack Sweeney, added that they’re delighted to return to indoor dining.

“Hopefully we get back to normal soon and to brighter days ahead.”

At Jimmy Brien’s Bar in Fair Hill, customers echoed the same sentiments about being finally open.

“We are delighted to be back,” Danjoe Aherne said.

“We appreciate everything Alan Breen has done for us. We’re glad to be back home again!” Charlie Buckingham said.

Continue Reading

News

Time to get your skates on!

By Sean Moriarty People of Killarney are being urged to have their say on a new skateboard park before next week’s deadline. A public consultation on the project has been launched by Kerry County Council. Cllr Donal Grady, who first put forward the idea of a Killarney skateboard park in 2018, is urging the people […]

Published

on

0206141_30_SkateboardersO.JPG

By Sean Moriarty

People of Killarney are being urged to have their say on a new skateboard park before next week’s deadline.

A public consultation on the project has been launched by Kerry County Council.

Cllr Donal Grady, who first put forward the idea of a Killarney skateboard park in 2018, is urging the people of the town to have their say.

It is proposed to build the park on land adjacent to the Killarney Sports and Leisure Centre with help and support from the KDYS.

“In 2017 a group of skateboard enthusiasts approached me, they had no designated safe area to enjoy their sport. Sport is vital for youths, stakeboarding increases metabolism, improves balance and enhances coordination use,” Cllr Grady told the Killarney Advertiser.

“Skateboarding is now an Olympic sport. I commend Kerry County Council, management, engineers and the planning team for getting the project to this stage, it’s now up to the people of Killarney to have their say. It’s vital positive submissions are lodged by Wednesday, August 25,”

Submissions can be lodged to the Playground Unit, Finance Dept, Kerry County Council.

Continue Reading

LOCAL ADS

Last News

Advertisement

Sport

Trending