Connect with us

News

Muckross House opens a new chapter in its history

Published

on

Minister Michael Ring, Rory D'Arcy, back row, Frank Lewis, Trustee, Pat Dawson, Regional Manager, NPWS, Ann Tangney, Head Guide, Muckross House, Cllr Michael Gleeson, Trustee, Trevor Donnelly, NPWS, Bernard Collins, Trustee, Geraldine Rosney, Vice Chair Trustees, Michael Larkin, Trustee, Marcus Treacy, Trustee, Senator Paul Coughlan, Trustee, MEP Sean Kelly, Padruig O'Sullivan, NPWS Ranger Base, Michael O'Shea, Trustee, Adam Larragy, NPWS, and Denis Reidy, Manager Muckross House. PICTURE: VALERIE O’SULLIVAN

A NEW era in the running of historic Muckross House, Killarney, has been ushered in with the signing of a fresh agreement for the running of the leading tourist attraction between the State and a local board of trustees.

Rory D’Arcy, chairman of the board of trustees, welcomed what he described as a new development in the partnership with the National Parks and Wildlife Service. The partnership has been in operation for more than 50 years.

Michael Ring, Minister of State for Regional Economic Development, signed on behalf of the State and Mr D’Arcy signed on behalf of the trustees.

The board of trustees of Muckross House is a voluntary body with charitable status. The trustees share a common interest in the preservation of Muckross House in particular, as well as in the history and folk life of Kerry.

The board works in close cooperation with the Department in the care and upkeep of Muckross House.

At the prompting of the first board of trustees, led by the late Dr Frank Hilliard, Muckross House opened to the public as a folk museum on June 14, 1964. Since then, the board of trustees has been involved in the management of this magnificent House.

This latest agreement, which covers the next five years, continues the successful partnership approach built up by the State and previous boards. Mr D’Arcy said it is a fine example of what can be achieved with the goodwill and endeavour of the community working in conjunction with the State.

“This is a historic day for the Trustees and this agreement further emphasises our commitment to safeguarding the historic fabric of Muckross House for future generations,” he said.
“It is the start of a new era and that commitment is emphasised by the ongoing Capital Works Programme which includes the refurbishment of the windows.”

Minister Ring said: “Looking back, the founding members of the Trustees of Muckross House deserve enormous credit for their foresight and initiative at a time when economic development and the promotion of a quality tourist product in this State was at a very modest level indeed. “With the new agreement that we have signed today, I am confident that a framework for the successful continuation and further development of this partnership is in place.

“This agreement will ensure the management and preservation of Muckross House to the highest standards and the promotion of Muckross House and its ancillary facilities as a State Heritage facility.”

Visitor numbers to the house last year were 129,000, a number which has steadily increased over the last number of years.
 


 
Minister Michael Ring, Rory D’Arcy, back row, Frank Lewis, Trustee, Pat Dawson, Regional Manager, NPWS, Ann Tangney, Head Guide, Muckross House, Cllr Michael Gleeson, Trustee, Trevor Donnelly, NPWS, Bernard Collins, Trustee, Geraldine Rosney, Vice Chair Trustees, Michael Larkin, Trustee, Marcus Treacy, Trustee, Senator Paul Coughlan, Trustee, MEP Sean Kelly, Padruig O’Sullivan, NPWS Ranger Base, Michael O’Shea, Trustee, Adam Larragy, NPWS, and Denis Reidy, Manager Muckross House.
PICTURE: VALERIE O’SULLIVAN

News

The secret is in the book!

By Michelle Crean  The secret to finding your true happiness is all in a new book which will guide readers to unlock their potential. Brazilian native Michelle Hadad, who moved to Ireland 14 years ago has written ‘The Secret Box: Concave and Convex’, a 432 page book which addresses the issues of suicide and develops into […]

Published

on

0202129_20_BookA.JPG

By Michelle Crean
 

The secret to finding your true happiness is all in a new book which will guide readers to unlock their potential.

Brazilian native Michelle Hadad, who moved to Ireland 14 years ago has written ‘The Secret Box: Concave and Convex’, a 432 page book which addresses the issues of suicide and develops into two different narratives.

It is also a follow up to her previous work ‘The Secret Box…Finding the Key’, a 192 page paperback launched by Michael Healy-Rae TD and reviewed by now retired judge James O’Connor, in October 2017.

Michelle, who studied adult psychology and is a NLP practitioner who encourages clients to transform limiting self-beliefs, explains that this version continues the story of Maria from the first book.

In the first book, the reader compares and contrasts their own life experiences with those of Maria and ask themselves the very question posed at the end of the book in the final chapter or ‘Padlock 13’ – “who are you?”

“Readers are outside the box, they see their own stories – that’s when we judge others,” Michelle told the Killarney Advertiser.

“It is fiction and the story is in two versions, the positive is bigger than the negative. There is always hope regardless of pain.”

She added that people need to forget about what others think, and focus on their own values and traditions.

“It’s a self help book, it doesn’t matter what people think of us, life’s too short. I’m motivating people in a positive way because of my NLP and psychology qualification.”

However, she emphasised that readers don’t have to have read the first book to understand the second one.

“Maria is the leading figure and there’s a few characters from book one but you don’t have to read that to get book two.”

She added that she’s thankful to everyone who helped her along the way.

“I have been blessed to have met so many people to help with my books.”

Both books are available from O’Connor’s Centra, The Reeks and Horans Health Store on Beech Road.

Continue Reading

News

Green light for teen accommodation

By Michelle Crean  Plans for sheltered accommodation to house homeless teenagers in foster care have been given the go ahead. An Bord Pleanala has approved a three-storey building in Flemings Lane just off High Street, which will have eight bedrooms, two one bedroom apartments and one two bedroom apartment. The teens living within the premises […]

Published

on

0203390_.JPG

By Michelle Crean
 

Plans for sheltered accommodation to house homeless teenagers in foster care have been given the go ahead.

An Bord Pleanala has approved a three-storey building in Flemings Lane just off High Street, which will have eight bedrooms, two one bedroom apartments and one two bedroom apartment.

The teens living within the premises will be supervised by applicant Eileen O’Brien who will live on the ground floor of the premises.

The two one-bed apartments on the second floor would either be rented out or used for independent living for the teenagers as they reach adulthood.

The two-bed apartment will be on the third floor. There are also plans for balconies at second and third floor levels.

The proposed apartment building is contemporary in design with a mix of stone and render finish on the lower floors and synthetic burned timber finish on the upper floors. The second floor is recessed at the front and the third floor is recessed at the front and the rear with a decorative feature on the front elevation comprising dark grey timber steel poles. The building will also have a flat roof.

Planning permission was granted subject to 14 conditions including a two-metre high boundary wall to be constructed on south, south-western boundaries of the site and there’s to be no overnight commercial guest accommodation.

Continue Reading

News

Fans return to Fitzgerald Stadium after eight months

By Sean Moriarty Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game. Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the […]

Published

on

0203238_Patrick_OSullivan_and_Colm_Cooper_2.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game.

Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the first game at the stadium since the 2020 Kerry Petroleum Intermediate Club Football Championship Quarter-Final when Glenbeigh-Glencar played Beaufort on October 4 last year.

Due to current restrictions only 200 fans were allowed attend Saturday’s big match. That will remain in place for Kerry’s opening Munster Championship tie with Clare on June 26.

“It had been more than eight months since Fitzgerald Stadium welcomed back fans to the venue,” stadium PRO Tatyana McGough told the Killarney Advertiser. “Everything went exceptionally well.”

She is hopeful that more restrictions will be eased on July 5, paving the way for an increase in capacity to 500 fans in time for the July 25 Munster Final.

“It is likely that from July 5 up to 500 spectators may be permitted to attend games. We hope this number will increase for the Munster Final. If it is a Cork versus Kerry Munster Final the game will be fixed for Sunday July 25 at 4pm in the Fitzgerald Stadium. The stadium’s staff are very confident in being able to host any number of fans that may be allowed.”

Continue Reading

Trending