By Michelle Crean
One local school could see major new works completed by mid-March as the building – deemed essential by the Dept of Education during the current restrictions – nears completion.
The brand new, and much needed extension at The Monastery primary school on New Road, will include two new classrooms to cater for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and children with two and more diagnosed learning difficulties, multi-sensory rooms, as well as works to extend the school hall, which is currently too small for the 190 pupil school.
There are also plans for a new school stage and PA system in the hall.
And, according to principal of the school, Colm Ó Súilleabháin, works for a soft play area outside and colourful murals should be finished during the summer holidays.
The school was founded in 1838 and has been located on the site on New Road since 1958. A three classroom extension was added at the rear in 2015 to cater for growing numbers.
Late last year the school ran ‘THE MON-ster Giveaway’ asking the public to make ‘a small donation for the next generation’ to help cater for the growing school population.
And, although they initially thought they’d raise somewhere in the region of €20,000 – Colm says they were blown away by the €40,000 raised.
“We’re hoping to have the interior finished by mid-March, which is six weeks away,” Colm told the Killarney Advertiser.
“We’re waiting on funding from the Dept for additional works, and some additional works might have to wait for the [summer] holidays. The response to the fundraiser was phenomenal. I thought we’d get €20,000 but it’s now close to €40,000. It gave us all a great lift. We want to thank everyone for supporting our fundraiser, businesses who sponsored fantastic prizes and all the community groups who made donations and everyone who bought tickets.”
He also added it’s great news that those attending the school for special education would be returning on February 11 after Minister for Education Norma Foley and education bodies agreed the date on Monday adding that “there was a lot of pressure” for the decision makers given “the situation”.
“Two weeks ago we were disappointed it didn’t happen. We’ve two special classes and we’ll be delighted to have them back. There’s 11 in total, and two teachers and two SNAs. There won’t be more than 20 people in the school.”
Garda appeal to park legally at beaches and public amenities
An Garda Siochana is appealing to the public to park legally in designated car parks and spaces when visiting beaches, beauty spots and other public amenities.
The good weather has seen an increase in dangerous illegal parking at these locations across the country in recent weeks. An Garda Siochana wants people to enjoy the summer but do so safely.
Parking illegally can lead to unnecessary risk and dangers such as pedestrians being forced to walk along dangerous roads. It can also prevent emergency services from gaining access to these amenities a seaside locations which could lead to the loss of life.
“We encourage the public to plan their journeys and think safety first when parking your vehicle,” the Gardai said in a statement.
“The outcome of parking illegally could be far more serious than a FCPN or vehicle towing and puts others and your own life at risk.
An Garda Siochana reminds and encourages the public to social distance and follow public health guidelines when attending these locations this Summer.
An Garda Siochana is also supporting National Water Safety Awareness Week (June 14th – 20th). Information on this campaign and general water safety can be found on Water Safety Irelands Website – www.watersafety.ie/national-water-safety-awareness-week/
IFTA nomination for Jessie Buckley
By Michelle Crean Killarney’s Jessie Buckley is up for an award as the 2021 Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) nominations were announced this week. Jessie has been nominated as Best Actress in a Lead Role Film category for her work in Charlie Kaufman’s surreal ‘I’m Thinking of Ending Things’. Winners will be announced at […]
By Michelle Crean
Killarney’s Jessie Buckley is up for an award as the 2021 Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) nominations were announced this week.
Jessie has been nominated as Best Actress in a Lead Role Film category for her work in Charlie Kaufman’s surreal ‘I’m Thinking of Ending Things’. Winners will be announced at a virtual IFTA awards ceremony which will be broadcast on Virgin Media One on Sunday, July 4.
Other well-known Irish actors up for awards include Brendan Gleeson for ‘The Comey Rule’, Paul Mescal for ‘Normal People’, Dervla Kirwan ‘Smother’ and Gabriel Byrne for ‘Death of a Ladies Man’.
Over the past few months during lockdown, the Irish Academy Members have been busy viewing, deliberating, and shortlisting the very best work from across great Irish films, performances, and achievements.
Nominations have been shortlisted by Irish Academy members alongside a specialist jury panel of industry experts from around the world.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no physical IFTA Awards Ceremony until March 2022, in keeping with COVID guidelines and best international practice.
Further details about the show and the international guest participants will be announced shortly.
Four week wait for Dublin/Kerry replacement airline
By Sean Moriarty It will take at least four weeks before a replacement airline can cover the Dublin/Kerry route following the sudden collapse of Stobart Air last weekend. However, it is not all bad news for Kerry Airport as Ryanair will resume its Kerry Stansted service from today (Friday). The budget airline is advancing plans […]
By Sean Moriarty
It will take at least four weeks before a replacement airline can cover the Dublin/Kerry route following the sudden collapse of Stobart Air last weekend.
However, it is not all bad news for Kerry Airport as Ryanair will resume its Kerry Stansted service from today (Friday).
The budget airline is advancing plans to resume all its Kerry services with the Frankfurt Hahn route set to be the first international service on July 18.
All other routes including Berlin, Faro, Alicante and Manchester will return bit by bit once international travel restrictions are lifted.
The Killarney Advertiser understands that up to eight airlines have expressed an interest in taking over the Dublin/Kerry route.
Airport staff were left reeling last Saturday morning when it emerged that Stobart Air had collapsed.
The UK airline operated the Dublin/Kerry franchise on behalf of Aer Lingus Regional. It had seven months left to run on its contract with Isle of Man based carrier Ettyl due to take over the route later this year. It has since been confirmed that Ettyl does not have the necessary funding in place to take over the service.
As a result, Kerry Airport will be left without a Dublin connection for the best part of four weeks. It is expected that Aer Lingus will take over the route for the remainder of Stobart’s seven month contract.
“This may seem like a long time, but in airline terms and because it is a Government funded route, this is actually very fast, faster than ever imagined,” Airport CEO, John Mulhern, told the Killarney Advertiser.
“This is being done as fast as humanly possible. The Government was able to put all its bureaucracy aside and make this happen. Thanks to Norma Foley, Brendan Griffin and Pa Daly, they were all on the case at 6am last Saturday morning. We are happy things are happening so fast – we are not happy to lose Stobart, they were a great airline and great friends – but happy to see solutions are coming so quickly.”
Thanks to the efforts of local politicians, the procurement process for finding an alternative airline has been speeded up. Tender documents are expected to be published early next week – much sooner than normal circumstances – and at least eight airlines have already expressed an interest in the route.
Meanwhile, Ryanair’s return to normality continues at Kerry Airport. The Luton service has been operating on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the last two weeks.
The Stansted service is due to return today (Friday) and will operate Mondays and Fridays for the foreseeable future. German services will resume next month.
“Ryanair will start with Frankfurt Hahn and as they slowly get back on their feet all other services, Berlin, Manchester, Faro and Alicante, will return,” added Mr Mulhern.
Eamonn Fitzgerald: Keane should know 11 of his 15 starters
As Kerry ramp up towards the championship, Eamonn Fitzgerald gives his assessment of their preparations to date. One certainly learns...
Tom O’Sullivan and Tony Brosnan start as Keane makes raft of changes
Dingle defender Tom O’Sullivan and Dr Crokes sharpshooter Tony Brosnan have been named in a much-changed starting line-up for Kerry’s...
Large shrubs are easy to care for
By Debby Looney, gardening expert There is a whole group of plants which form the backbone of any garden, which...
Inheritance rights of cohabiting couples
Question: My partner and I have two young children together. We live together but we are not married and haven’t...
News1 week ago
“Don’t shut Main Street” plead town retailers
News3 weeks ago
It’s showtime: Omniplex Killarney announces July opening plan
News1 week ago
The buzz is back in town as pubs and restaurants reopen
News4 years ago
Sportif to unlock Kerry’s potential as must-visit cycling destination
Sport3 weeks ago
The foreign game: How soccer took roots in Killarney
Sport1 week ago
Eamonn Fitzgerald: Keane should know 11 of his 15 starters