Connect with us

News

Lewis Junction safety works planned for 2020

Published

on

Upgraded works at the Lewis Road Junction which will include a new roundabout – are to go ahead – but it’ll take a least another year.
Serious accidents and loss of life have occurred on the busy road, which sees over 18,500 vehicles pass through every day.
It has a current speed limit of 100kph and is deemed one of the most dangerous roads in Kerry. On Monday afternoon last week, a motorist was caught up in an accident as the driver tried to exit the Upper Lewis Road out onto the busy bypass.
According to Kerry County Council the Part 8 Public Notice for the proposed works at this location will be published this month. On completion of this process, the land acquisition process for the necessary lands will be commenced and it is hoped to have the lands acquired and to have the Construct Contract procured by the end of 2019 with the works being carried out in 2020.
Cllr Niall Kelleher welcomed the news that the works will be going ahead next year although he says people are anxious to see it done sooner.
Cllr Kelleher and Suzanne Dennehy, whose sister died on the road a number of years ago, gathered 5,000 signatures, which were handed to Minister’s office.
“I’d like to see it done in the morning but land has to be acquired – it’s a large scale project,” Cllr Kelleher told the Killarney Advertiser.
“The speed limit review is gone back to Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII).
“The speed limit will be reduced where the proposed roundabout will be back to Cleeney roundabout.
“The underpass will be a welcome addition to pedestrians and cyclists to allow them cross safely from one side to the other especially Legion and Celtic residents in the area.
“I can very much understand the frustration by the general public asking why can’t it be done straight away, but it’s with the TII and at the last stages – so hopefully in the next month or two.
“While the TII have committed to it I’m calling on Minister Ross and Griffin that once we’ve our job done that the funds are made available as soon as possible. Every day is critical.”

News

Fans return to Fitzgerald Stadium after eight months

By Sean Moriarty Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game. Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the […]

Published

on

0203238_Patrick_OSullivan_and_Colm_Cooper_2.jpg

By Sean Moriarty

Officials from Fitzgerald Stadium remain hopeful that crowd capacity at the venue can be increased to 500 spectators in time for the Munster final on July 25 – subject to both national health guidelines and Kerry qualifying for the game.

Last Saturday evening’s National League semi-final between Kerry and Tyrone was the first game at the stadium since the 2020 Kerry Petroleum Intermediate Club Football Championship Quarter-Final when Glenbeigh-Glencar played Beaufort on October 4 last year.

Due to current restrictions only 200 fans were allowed attend Saturday’s big match. That will remain in place for Kerry’s opening Munster Championship tie with Clare on June 26.

“It had been more than eight months since Fitzgerald Stadium welcomed back fans to the venue,” stadium PRO Tatyana McGough told the Killarney Advertiser. “Everything went exceptionally well.”

She is hopeful that more restrictions will be eased on July 5, paving the way for an increase in capacity to 500 fans in time for the July 25 Munster Final.

“It is likely that from July 5 up to 500 spectators may be permitted to attend games. We hope this number will increase for the Munster Final. If it is a Cork versus Kerry Munster Final the game will be fixed for Sunday July 25 at 4pm in the Fitzgerald Stadium. The stadium’s staff are very confident in being able to host any number of fans that may be allowed.”

Continue Reading

News

Garda appeal to park legally at beaches and public amenities

Published

on

An Garda Siochana is appealing to the public to park legally in designated car parks and spaces when visiting beaches, beauty spots and other public amenities. 

The good weather has seen an increase in dangerous illegal parking at these locations across the country in recent weeks. An Garda Siochana wants people to enjoy the summer but do so safely.

Parking illegally can lead to unnecessary risk and dangers such as pedestrians being forced to walk along dangerous roads. It can also prevent emergency services from gaining access to these amenities a seaside locations which could lead to the loss of life. 

“We encourage the public to plan their journeys and think safety first when parking your vehicle,” the Gardai said in a statement. 

“The outcome of parking illegally could be far more serious than a FCPN or vehicle towing and puts others and your own life at risk. 

An Garda Siochana reminds and encourages the public to social distance and follow public health guidelines when attending these locations this Summer.

An Garda Siochana is also supporting National Water Safety Awareness Week (June 14th – 20th). Information on this campaign and general water safety can be found on Water Safety Irelands Website – www.watersafety.ie/national-water-safety-awareness-week/

Continue Reading

News

IFTA nomination for Jessie Buckley

By Michelle Crean  Killarney’s Jessie Buckley is up for an award as the 2021 Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) nominations were announced this week. Jessie has been nominated as Best Actress in a Lead Role Film category for her work in Charlie Kaufman’s surreal ‘I’m Thinking of Ending Things’. Winners will be announced at […]

Published

on

0203131_shutterstock1705175470.jpg

By Michelle Crean
 

Killarney’s Jessie Buckley is up for an award as the 2021 Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) nominations were announced this week.

Jessie has been nominated as Best Actress in a Lead Role Film category for her work in Charlie Kaufman’s surreal ‘I’m Thinking of Ending Things’. Winners will be announced at a virtual IFTA awards ceremony which will be broadcast on Virgin Media One on Sunday, July 4.

Other well-known Irish actors up for awards include Brendan Gleeson for ‘The Comey Rule’, Paul Mescal for ‘Normal People’, Dervla Kirwan ‘Smother’ and Gabriel Byrne for ‘Death of a Ladies Man’.

Over the past few months during lockdown, the Irish Academy Members have been busy viewing, deliberating, and shortlisting the very best work from across great Irish films, performances, and achievements.

Nominations have been shortlisted by Irish Academy members alongside a specialist jury panel of industry experts from around the world.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no physical IFTA Awards Ceremony until March 2022, in keeping with COVID guidelines and best international practice.

Further details about the show and the international guest participants will be announced shortly.

Continue Reading

Trending