Connect with us

News

Lack of clear approach leading to financial distress – Kerry TD

Published

on

Deputy Michael Healy-Rae has called on the newly appointed Minister for Higher Education, Innovation and Research, Simon Harris, to ensure a clear and consistent approach on the return to third level for students, at least during first semester is provided immediately.

“Many rural parents in particular are out of pocket putting down large deposits on accommodation which may not be needed due to the blended learning approach of colleges brought on by the COVID-19 crisis," he said this week.

"In some instances families who receive no grant support are being asked to pay a first instalment deposit of €4,100 by the beginning of August to secure accommodation, which may not actually be needed as some colleges will opt for an online approach which may see the student only attending the college one day a week.”

Due to the fact that many students have not been able to work, they are now once again over depending on their family for financial support.

“Parents will always do the very best that they can do for their children to attend college especially in rural areas. But at a time when accommodation has never been more difficult to source and never been more expensive, is it really fair to ask parents to pay for accommodation that they might only need for one night a week, while colleges are getting their COVID-19 return plans in place.”

“We need to have clear timetables and direction from all third level institutions on how they will deliver their learning to enable parents and students make informed decisions about accommodation. Currently many are being put through unneeded distress at a time when many may have already lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 crisis.”

Deputy Michael Healy-Rae hopes that the newly created Department for Higher Education, Innovation and Research gives this matter its full attention.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Relief as indoor dining finally resumes

By Michelle Crean After almost 500 days of closures the sense of relief was evident this week as restaurants, cafés and bars were finally allowed to welcome customers back in. Some had reopened for outdoor dining previously to help keep their businesses afloat but it was back to normal on Monday. According to the new […]

Published

on

0206059_IMG9176.jpg

By Michelle Crean

After almost 500 days of closures the sense of relief was evident this week as restaurants, cafés and bars were finally allowed to welcome customers back in.

Some had reopened for outdoor dining previously to help keep their businesses afloat but it was back to normal on Monday.

According to the new rules as set out by Fáilte Ireland and the Government, in order for customers to access indoor service, they must show proof that they are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 in the past six months. Those who are not yet vaccinated can only be served outside.

A maximum of six people aged 13 and over are allowed per table and it’s advised that face coverings be worn when not at the table, there is no time limit, customers can only eat or drink at a table and not at the bar or counter, and one person must give their details for contract tracing purposes. Live music and dancing is not allowed.

The Killarney Advertiser spoke to a number of businesses this week and overall the feeling was relief that they can finally get back to normal service but the issue of staffing still remains.

Brian Murphy from Courtney’s Bar said he was feeling nervous.

“I’m feeling nervous as we don’t have enough staff,” he said. “It’s a Monday so hopefully we can cope. Things will settle down and we’ll find a level we are all happy with.”

At the Porterhouse Restaurant Lee O’Callaghan said “It’s great to be back open and have people coming into the restaurant”.

“Hopefully we have a long season after being closed for so long.”

Staff at Reidy’s, Ellen Shannon, Rory Carroll and Jack Sweeney, added that they’re delighted to return to indoor dining.

“Hopefully we get back to normal soon and to brighter days ahead.”

At Jimmy Brien’s Bar in Fair Hill, customers echoed the same sentiments about being finally open.

“We are delighted to be back,” Danjoe Aherne said.

“We appreciate everything Alan Breen has done for us. We’re glad to be back home again!” Charlie Buckingham said.

Continue Reading

News

Time to get your skates on!

By Sean Moriarty People of Killarney are being urged to have their say on a new skateboard park before next week’s deadline. A public consultation on the project has been launched by Kerry County Council. Cllr Donal Grady, who first put forward the idea of a Killarney skateboard park in 2018, is urging the people […]

Published

on

0206141_30_SkateboardersO.JPG

By Sean Moriarty

People of Killarney are being urged to have their say on a new skateboard park before next week’s deadline.

A public consultation on the project has been launched by Kerry County Council.

Cllr Donal Grady, who first put forward the idea of a Killarney skateboard park in 2018, is urging the people of the town to have their say.

It is proposed to build the park on land adjacent to the Killarney Sports and Leisure Centre with help and support from the KDYS.

“In 2017 a group of skateboard enthusiasts approached me, they had no designated safe area to enjoy their sport. Sport is vital for youths, stakeboarding increases metabolism, improves balance and enhances coordination use,” Cllr Grady told the Killarney Advertiser.

“Skateboarding is now an Olympic sport. I commend Kerry County Council, management, engineers and the planning team for getting the project to this stage, it’s now up to the people of Killarney to have their say. It’s vital positive submissions are lodged by Wednesday, August 25,”

Submissions can be lodged to the Playground Unit, Finance Dept, Kerry County Council.

Continue Reading

LOCAL ADS

Last News

Advertisement

Sport

Trending