Connect with us

News

Killarney car enthusiasts committed to helping one of their own

Published

on

0219154_Unknown-5.jpeg

 

Members of Killarney Valley Classic and Vintage Club have committed to supporting a fundraising event in Tralee for a fellow car enthusiast.

Members of the Tralee-based Kerry Motor Club are organising a static car show in Tralee town centre next month to raise funds for club member James Quinlan who faces a very difficult medical journey in New York.

James, from Waterville, suffered a major brain haemorrhage on December 19 and remains in the intensive care unit in a Manhattan Hospital.

His family estimates that it will cost more than €250,000, possibly as much as four times that figure, to get James the treatment he needs. A GoFundMe campaign over Christmas raised €80,000 but more funds are urgently needed.

His friends in the Kerry motorsport community are running a series of events over the coming weeks including the car show at the Brandon Car Park in Tralee on February 13.

James, a car mechanic, was a popular member of Kerry Motor Club before he moved to New York around 17 years ago. He could always be relied upon to volunteer for club events and ran his own rally cars on local rallies in the early 2000s.

“He bought his second rally car from me,” explained Killarney Valley Classic and Vintage Club PRO Tom Leslie. “That is why we have to support this event.”

Kerry Motor Club is asking anyone who owns interesting cars, rally cars, vintage and classic cars or motorcycles, to display their machines at the event in a few weeks’ time.

Members of the public will be invited to view the cars and entry to the event will be by donation to the James Quinlan Recovery Fund.
A series of raffles and spot prizes will also be on offer throughout the day – more side events are also planned to include a 5k walk from the Brandon Car Park along the canal, to Blennerville, and back.

The classic car show will run from around mid-day on February 13 and will take the format of a Cars’N’Coffee style event.

Owner of cars that wish to show off their pride and joy are asked to contact any member of the organising team (numbers listed below) or via a dedicated email: jamesquinlanfund@gmail.com

Kerry Motor Club’s John Liston is a close friend of the Quinlan family.
“We are inviting anyone in Kerry or beyond who owns an interesting car to bring it along on the day, we have secured permission from Tralee Municipal Council to use the car park,” he said. “James faces a long journey, from his current situation to full recovery and we are asking every car enthusiast to come and support us on the day because James would always be the first to support or lend a hand to these kinds of events.”
Committee members are: John Liston: 087 689 8530; Richard Talbot: 087 268 0732; Senan Raggett: 087 259 9657; Ger O’Brien: 087 274 8936; Sean Moriarty: 087 677 1019. Or via email: jamesquinlanfund@gmail.com

Donations to the GoFundMe campaign can be made at https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-james-quinlans-journey-to-recovery

Advertisement

News

Kerry rowing clubs flock to Killarney for the start of the coastal season

There was a fantastic spectacle of colour and rowing on Lough Leane last Sunday (June 16th) with the coastal rowing clubs of Kerry participating in the first ‘Head of the […]

Published

on

0279996_1b_FVRC_HoL_2024_U14_Boys.jpeg

There was a fantastic spectacle of colour and rowing on Lough Leane last Sunday (June 16th) with the coastal rowing clubs of Kerry participating in the first ‘Head of the Lake’ time-trial for coastal one-design boats.

The event, hosted by the local Flesk Valley Rowing Club, signalled the start of the summer season for clubs rowing the coastal ‘one-design’ boats.

It was fitting that on the weekend that the Killarney National Park celebrated the 60th anniversary of the opening of Muckross House to the public, that hundreds of people also flocked to the Flesk Valley shore to appreciate and enjoy the splendour of the park.

Speaking after the event, Flesk Valley chairman, John Fleming thanked all the Kerry clubs who supported this new event and congratulated all the first-time rowers taking to the water in a competitive event for the first time.
“We were delighted to welcome our neighbouring clubs Workmens’ and Fossa, and look forward to renewing rivalries with them again at the Killarney Regatta at the end of this month,” he said.

“We would also like to thank Mary B. Teahan, Andrew Wharton, Johanna King and the Kerry Coastal Rowing Association for all their support and encouragement, and Denis O’Leary for coordinating safety on the water.”
Flesk Valley would also like to thank the Killarney National Park, Leanes Tool Hire, Hegartys Shop and Muckross Rowing Club for their support.

“This was a great start to the coastal rowing season, and augurs well for the months ahead as clubs build towards the All-Ireland Coastal Rowing Championships to be held in Dingle at the end of August,” added the chairman.

Continue Reading

News

NPWS announces nature scholarships to mark ‘Muckross 60’

Director General of the National Parks and Wildlife Service, Niall O’ Donnchú, this week announced the inaugural ‘Muckross 60’ nature scholarships to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the opening of […]

Published

on

0279962_thumbnailimage004.jpg

Director General of the National Parks and Wildlife Service, Niall O’ Donnchú, this week announced the inaugural ‘Muckross 60’ nature scholarships to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the opening of Muckross House and Gardens to the public. The scholarships will be funded and managed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service.

Niall O Donnchú said, “Killarney and Muckross have a very special place in Ireland’s heritage legacy, and  such beautiful gems need constant care, nurturing and indeed protecting by future generations. In supporting these third level scholarships, the NPWS is building the knowledge base of the future to assist those generations in continuing to realise the full beauty and nature value of the very unique Muckross House and Gardens and Killarney National Park.”

Mr O Donnchú added: “Killarney has a long history of scholarship, research and frontier work on nature and that continues to this day in the management of Killarney National Park and Muckross House and Gardens. The endowment of these annual scholarships is a very clear attestation that this crucial work continues to be undertaken across our national park system and especially here in Killarney and Muckross. This work has been pioneering in respect of wildlife and nature research and indeed the reintroduction of endangered species and the discovery, even this year, of more.”

Minister for Education and Kerry T.D. Norma Foley also welcomed new scholarships to mark the 60th anniversary of Muckross House.

“Muckross House is one of the jewels in the crown of Kerry tourism and received almost one million visitors last year. These scholarships will further add to our understanding of this outstanding part of our national heritage,” she said.

Muckross House was built by the Herbert family, who were local landlords. They became very wealthy during the 18th century due to the working of the copper mines on the Muckross Peninsula. They commenced the building of the present Muckross House in 1839. It was completed in 1843 at cost of £30,000, just two years prior to the Great Irish Famine. The Herbert family hosted the visit of Queen Victoria to Muckross House in 1861 but later got into financial difficulties and lost the house in 1897.

It was then bought by Lord Ardilaun, a member of the Guinness family. He in turn sold it in 1911 to William Bowers Bourn, a wealthy Californian gold miner. Bowers Bourn gave it to his daughter Maud as a wedding gift when she married Arthur Rose Vincent, an Irish barrister who later became a Senator.

After Maude died from pneumonia in 1929, Arthur Rose Vincent decided to donate Muckross house to the Irish nation as a memorial to his wife. Muckross House was transferred to the state in 1932 with its 11,000 acre estate and became Ireland’s first National Park in 1933.

The park and gardens were opened to the public but the house remained closed until 1964 when it was reopened as a folk museum on June 14, 1964 following a campaign by people in Killarney.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport