Connect with us

News

Chefs offer services to feed most vulnerable

Published

on

HELPING OTHERS: Pictured a number of weeks ago at the County Cooking Championships before being temporarily let go from their jobs are five of the seven Killarney based chefs, Dan Moynihan, Chad Byrne, Simon Deegan, Cyrille Durand and John Drummond, who plan to cook nutritious meals for the most vulnerable during the health crisis.

By Michelle Crean

A number of Killarney based chefs who have been temporarily let go from their jobs are pooling their skills and knowledge to help those most vulnerable.

As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, top talented chefs Chad Byrne, Simon Deegan, Cyrille Durand, Gorka Arrieta, Andrew Foley, Mossey Laverty, Paul Stewart and Craig Lynch, found they suddenly had a huge amount of time on their hands.

And in a bid to stay busy and keep themselves in a positive frame of mind they decided to offer their skills to the community.
Now they're planning to help one Meals on Wheels group who are trying to cope with the surge in demand for their services.

Chad Byrne, who is Head Chef in the Brehon, said losing their jobs temporarily was a shock but they knew due to the health crisis Ireland is experiencing that it was coming.

“The whole hospitality sector knew it was imminent – but it was still a shock,” Chad told the Killarney Advertiser this week.

“We wanted to stay in the right frame of mental health by staying positive and helping the community that needs it most under safe conditions in line with the HSE. I’m fit, able and ready to go and I’ve gathered a team of seven chefs.”

He said they tried one local group but at that time they didn’t need any volunteers. He had heard Tralee Meals on Wheels were in desperate need of volunteers so they’re now planning to travel over and split days between them.
“I’m looking forward to it. I’ll be back in the kitchen where I feel most at home and it’s a rewarding thing to do.”

Timmy Hickey from Flesk Meats has also volunteered his refrigerated vans for delivery, he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

No spare change – no problem, as charity embraces new technology

By Sean Moriarty With less and less people carrying lose change around, one local group have now embraced a new technology to make donating much easier. For their annual Christmas fundraiser, the Killarney Conference of the St Vincent De Paul Society will have a special collection bucket that will allow supporters to use their bank […]

Published

on

0215616_Unknown-2.jpeg

By Sean Moriarty

With less and less people carrying lose change around, one local group have now embraced a new technology to make donating much easier.

For their annual Christmas fundraiser, the Killarney Conference of the St Vincent De Paul Society will have a special collection bucket that will allow supporters to use their bank card to make a donation.

The Society’s annual churchgate collection will be held on the weekend of December 11/12 at places of worship in the town and surrounding areas. This year’s collection has be renamed as ‘Giving Sunday’ and makes a return after the pandemic forced the cancellation of last year’s fundraiser.

“We are moving towards a cashless society,” explained Killarney Conference President Breda O’Dwyer. “You can tap and swipe your card to make a donation.”

Breda added that they are hoping to have the buckets ready by next week in time for the collection.

She said the local conference of the St Vincent De Paul Society has seen a marked increase in the number of families it is helping mainly caused by the increase in the cost of fuel and home heating products.

The annual St Vincent De Paul Society’s Christmas Jumper Day, in association with Radio Kerry is scheduled for December 10.

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

SURVEY: Locals are reducing their social contacts

It is just over a week since new restrictions were announced by the Government in an another effort to curb the spread of COVID-19. In our latest online poll we asked our readers if they had reduced their social contacts over the course of the last week. An overwhelming 62.90% said they had reduced their […]

Published

on

0215777_Poll.png

It is just over a week since new restrictions were announced by the Government in an another effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.

In our latest online poll we asked our readers if they had reduced their social contacts over the course of the last week.

An overwhelming 62.90% said they had reduced their level of contacts with people.

Interestingly, 37.10% of people had made no change to their lifestyle, but they could have been extra cautious already.

A tiny minority – just 1.61% – said they increased their social contacts over the last week.

Attachments

Continue Reading

LOCAL ADS

Last News

Advertisement

Sport

Trending