Connect with us

News

Business community calls for more outdoor dining locations

Published

on

B

By Sean Moriarty

The business community in Killarney will call on Kerry County Council to include more than one area in the town centre for the proposed new All Weather Dining Scheme plan.

Last week, the Killarney Advertiser revealed that Kenmare Place has been earmarked for the Fáilte Ireland funded but local authority managed scheme.

Killarney is one of eight towns in Ireland selected for the funding - with Dingle the only other Kerry town.

Elected members of the Killarney Municipal District are due to meet Council officials later today (Friday) to discuss ways of moving the project forward under a very tight timeframe.

Ahead of today’s meeting, Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce held an online discussion on Wednesday afternoon, where members and non-members were invited to air their views on the project.

Wednesday’s Chamber meeting was told that the new scheme will not be in place for this summer season.

Kerry County Council’s next step is to appoint a design architect. The completed application, including design, must be lodged with Fáilte Ireland by May 27 and if Killarney’s bid is successful the project must then be completed by November this year to qualify for the funds.

Several business owners asked why the project is exclusively linked to Kenmare Place and why other locations in the town aren’t considered.
Suggestions to include New St, Market Lane and Main St as part of the scheme and even the full pedestrianisation of High St were all put forward during the 45-minute meeting.

Chamber President Niall Kelleher explained that the selection process is based on Fáilte Ireland guidelines. He said the reason why Kenmare Place and the Boatyard in Dingle were selected was because they are already pedestrianised or partially pedestrianised.

This ruled out Plunkett St as its current status as a full-time pedestrian street is only in place to allow social distancing during the pandemic and is expected to return to a daytime vehicle street once the health crisis is over.

This also ruled out areas in New St and High St where footpaths have been widened as part of the ‘Safe Streets’ COVID-19 measures and where temporary outdoor dining furniture was placed last summer by adjacent businesses.

Mr Kelleher is also an elected member of the Killarney Municipal District and is best placed to act as a bridge between the business community and the Council’s Executive.

He will bring the business community’s concerns to today’s Council meeting.
​​​​​​​
“What I take from the [Chamber’s] meeting is that these [outdoor dining projects] should try to have a broad scope,” he said. “And that the local authority needs to look at a number of locations as the town is big enough.”
It is understood that if the project gets off the ground it will have a lifespan of a minimum of five years.

Advertisement

News

Chamber’s emphasis on cyber security

  Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to taketo ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies. Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted […]

Published

on

 

Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to take
to ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies.

Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted a very informative breakfast
briefing in the International Hotel at which they keynote speakers were cyber security
experts Mike Dennehy and Ger McAuliffe from progressive local company Tricel.
The opening question at the event was how will a business operate tomorrow if it
loses access to its data today?
Mike and Ger recommended that all employers to include IT training as part of the
induction programme for new entrants, organise monthly awareness training for all
employees and to conduct monthly spot-checks to ensure everything is going
according to plan.
It was essential, they pointed out not to give the same level of access to all
employees to reduce risk and to devise a disaster recovery plan in case it is needed.
Companies have also been advised not to allow the public to use their private wi-fi
network and, instead, to set up a public or guest network.
Chamber thanked the experts from Tricel for their engaging talk which certainly put
the spotlight very firmly on the need to enhance cyber security measures.

Continue Reading

News

Win tickets for Killarney for Palestine sold-out INEC show

Killarney for Palestine has announced a fundraising competition that will give Killarney Advertiser readers a chance to win two tickets to the sold-out Night for Palestine concert in the INEC […]

Published

on

Killarney for Palestine has announced a fundraising competition that will give Killarney Advertiser readers a chance to win two tickets to the sold-out Night for Palestine concert in the INEC on December 19.

The event, which features Amble, Beoga and Clare Sands, has already reached full capacity, but the group is offering two tickets along with a €250 Gleneagle Hotel Group voucher, which can also be used at the Brehon.
To enter, supporters are asked to make a minimum €5 donation to the group’s Chuffed campaign, which is raising funds for urgent medical support for a displaced family in Gaza.

The link to the campaign is:

http://chuffed.org/project/154575-urgent-medical-relief-for-mohammad-basyouni-his-kids

After donating, entrants must email proof of donation to:
killarneyforpalestine@yahoo.com
The competition runs on the group’s Instagram page @killarneyforpalestine, where full instructions are listed. A winner will be chosen at random and announced on November 29.
Killarney for Palestine says all proceeds from the INEC event will support Aclaí Palestine, a community gym based in Aida Refugee Camp, Bethlehem.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport