Connect with us

News

Bullet train for Killarney on Council agenda

Published

on

&

 

 

EXCLUSIVE

By Sean Moriarty

A Killarney councillor is calling for a Japanese-style 'Shinkansen' high-speed train – otherwise known as Bullet Trains - to link towns like Killarney and Tralee to Dublin.

Cllr Michael Gleeson, who is also the Cathaoirleach of the Killarney Municipal District, will put this proposal before Kerry County Council on Monday of next week.

Gleeson says that proper rail links between the west of Ireland and the capital will help revitalise rural Ireland.

“The largely uncoordinated and piecemeal expansion of Dublin has been hugely to the detriment of much of rural Ireland and its self, in the process, become a nightmare place in which to live,” he told the Killarney Advertiser.

He feels that a high-speed service would encourage people who work in Dublin to live in a place like Killarney.

“People do not wish to live in that chaotic and overcrowded city,” he said. “This relocation can never be realistically achieved using cars or airport. The only really viable way to do this would be through the development of super-fast trains.”

According to intermodal travel website rometorio.com, the rail journey between to the two stations is 259km, 41km shorter than going by road.

The current journey between Killarney and Dublin Heuston takes 3hrs and 18mins.

In Britain, a high-speed rail line between Birmingham and London, a project of around half the distance between Dublin and Killarney is costing over £33bn, including Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO) for nearby lands.

“The only constrains would be an inability to think positive and think big,” added Gleeson. “Millions and millions of euro are being spent on travel infrastructure in Dublin, much of it seeking to undo inadequacies in the orignal development. Far better I believe to think of projects such as this that are keeping pace with what is really needed in Ireland as an entire country.”

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Shoebox appeal is biggest yet for Faha kids

By Michelle Crean It’s no wonder Faha pupils have a big smile on their faces as this year’s Team Hope Shoebox Appeal is their biggest yet! The children happily packed and wrapped 140 shoeboxes which will be sent to children in need throughout the world. The school has been doing the Team Hope Shoebox Appeal […]

Published

on

0215483_IMG202111111216042_1.jpg

By Michelle Crean

It’s no wonder Faha pupils have a big smile on their faces as this year’s Team Hope Shoebox Appeal is their biggest yet!

The children happily packed and wrapped 140 shoeboxes which will be sent to children in need throughout the world.

The school has been doing the Team Hope Shoebox Appeal for approximately six years when parent, Margaret Scully, initially contacted one of the SNAs, Delia O’ Shea, wondering if they’d be interested in taking part. Since then the appeal has been wholeheartedly supported by the pupils, staff and extended Faha NS community.

“This year has been the biggest yet with 140 shoeboxes collected and many more donations online,” Jerry Fitzgerald, Principal of Faha NS, said. “It is a learning experience for the children to realise that there are children just like themselves who may not be so fortunate and they really enjoy being given the opportunity to help out. They have great suggestions as to what to put in the shoeboxes and really put a lot of thought into it. The boxes are wrapped in Christmas paper which is also very exciting both for the children doing the wrapping as well for the children receiving the boxes.” However, he added that last year the COVID-19 pandemic brought about big changes and the physical shoeboxes were not collected. “Instead the children were able to do virtual shoeboxes or donate money. This cloud had a silver lining as this year people have both options and it makes it easier than ever to donate. The shoebox appeal always marks the start of Christmas at Faha NS and we are delighted to be able to help out. We are already looking to smash our record next year! Thanks to everyone who donated. The staff and students of Faha NS would like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a safe New Year 2022.”

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

More than  38,000 homes, farms and businesses across the country without power

Gale force winds associated with Storm Barra, with gusts of over 130 km/h, are continuing to cause damage to the electricity network, currently affecting more than  38,000 homes, farms and businesses across the country. The damage is mainly attributable to fallen trees on overhead lines as a result of the high winds. ESB Networks’ crews will […]

Published

on

0216730_Unknown-10.jpeg

Gale force winds associated with Storm Barra, with gusts of over 130 km/h, are continuing to cause damage to the electricity network, currently affecting more than  38,000 homes, farms and businesses across the country.

The damage is mainly attributable to fallen trees on overhead lines as a result of the high winds. ESB Networks’ crews will continue to work late into the evening to restore power to those affected, where safe to do so, but unfortunately, some customers will remain without electricity overnight.

Since early morning and despite challenging conditions, ESB Networks have continued to restore power to customers across the country.
With the storm still crossing the country, more damage and interruptions to supply can be expected. ESB Networks reminds the public that if you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they may be LIVE and extremely dangerous.

All internal resources and contractors remain on alert and are responding to electricity outages once it is safe to do so. With a Red weather warning in the Southwest in effect until 9 pm tonight, and Co Clare until 1 am on Wednesday morning, some of our crews may not be mobilised on the ground until the worst of the severe weather passes.

We are advising all those impacted by outages that they should prepare to be without electricity overnight and into tomorrow, with some customers potentially without power beyond that. It is very important that any customers who use electrically powered medical devices should contact their healthcare professional to make alternative arrangements if necessary.

In addition to safety procedures associated with power restoration, crews continue to work under all national Covid-19 protocols with respect to hygiene, social distancing and PPE.

Customers without power can check for updates on when their fault is expected to be repaired at www.powercheck.ie

Attachments

Continue Reading

LOCAL ADS

Last News

Advertisement

Sport

Trending