Connect with us

News

Killarney pedestrianisation row rumbles

Published

on

B

By Sean Moriarty

 

A recent move in Cork where 17 city centre streets will be pedestrianised will have ramifications in Killarney. Cork, like most towns and cities in the country, including Killarney, introduced a ‘Safe Streets’ programme last summer.

It was designed to encourage footfall and social distancing in town centres as the country attempted to reopen following the first wave of COVID-19 last year.

Even before pandemic restrictions, the pedestrianisation of Killarney town centre has divided Council and commercial opinion.

Only last week, Kerry County Council announced it was to extend the ‘Safe Streets’ programme until at least October 31 this year – the third extension of the plan and one that increases its timeframe from an initial three months to over a year.

Next Monday, Cork County Council contractors will begin works in the city centre to pedestrianise streets that were previously included in their temporary ‘Safe Streets’ plan.

Councillor Donal Grady, who has been a long time opponent of street closures in Killarney believes a similar move is on the cards here.

He always maintained that the ‘Safe Streets’ programme was an underhand attempt by the Council to bring in pedestrianisation without a proper consultation process.

“This is hunting people away from Killarney town centre and they will hunt even more,” he told the Killarney Advertiser. “They have already taken 70 parking spaces away from the town centre.”

Former Mayor, Cllr Michael Gleeson, who is a supporter of Killarney pedestrianisation, says the current ‘Safe Streets’ plan could be expanded even further.

“I would love to see the day when Main St is closed to traffic,” he told the Killarney Advertiser. “Pedestrianisation is vitally important. It fits with our advertising slogan – ‘The town in the park and the park in the town'.”

Advertisement

News

Rathmore students finish runners-up in national SciFest finals

Scoil Phobail Sliabh Luachra in Rathmore is celebrating a major success after students Eoin Cashman and Alex Thompson were named overall runners-up at the National SciFest finals held in Marino […]

Published

on

Scoil Phobail Sliabh Luachra in Rathmore is celebrating a major success after students Eoin Cashman and Alex Thompson were named overall runners-up at the National SciFest finals held in Marino College, Dublin last week.

The pair also won the Regeneron International Science & Engineering Award and will now represent Ireland at the world finals in Phoenix, Arizona in 2026.
Their project, titled Dust Dynamics: Analysing Planetary Bodies through the Ballistic Motion of Lofted Dust Particles, examined how the movement of dust can reveal key information about a planet’s environment, including atmospheric density and gravity. As part of their study, they analysed footage of dust thrown up by the Lunar Roving Vehicle during the Apollo 16 mission in 1972. Using online software and physics calculations learned in school, they estimated the moon’s gravitational acceleration to 1.72 m/s², within 6.7% of the accepted value.
The national finals featured projects assessed by judges from scientific and engineering fields. More than 16,000 students entered SciFest 2025, making the duo’s achievement a significant milestone. Their teacher Kevin McCarthy mentored the project, and the school says the students’ work could be applied to footage from other planetary missions in the future.

Continue Reading

News

Chamber’s emphasis on cyber security

  Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to taketo ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies. Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted […]

Published

on

 

Businesses in Killarney have been fully briefed on what measures they need to take
to ensure greater cyber security to protect their companies.

Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce hosted a very informative breakfast
briefing in the International Hotel at which they keynote speakers were cyber security
experts Mike Dennehy and Ger McAuliffe from progressive local company Tricel.
The opening question at the event was how will a business operate tomorrow if it
loses access to its data today?
Mike and Ger recommended that all employers to include IT training as part of the
induction programme for new entrants, organise monthly awareness training for all
employees and to conduct monthly spot-checks to ensure everything is going
according to plan.
It was essential, they pointed out not to give the same level of access to all
employees to reduce risk and to devise a disaster recovery plan in case it is needed.
Companies have also been advised not to allow the public to use their private wi-fi
network and, instead, to set up a public or guest network.
Chamber thanked the experts from Tricel for their engaging talk which certainly put
the spotlight very firmly on the need to enhance cyber security measures.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport