Connect with us

News

Killarney creatives appear on new TG4 show

Published

on

TV SHOW: Mentor Brid with the team from The Gleneagle Hotel who appeared on TG4 show 'Creative Company' on Thursday night.

 

 EXCLUSIVE

 

By Michelle Crean

One local hotel is hoping to be crowned ‘Ireland’s Most Creative Company’ after appearing a brand new TV show on Thursday night.

TG4 aired the first of their six-part entertaining arts-based competition series ‘Creative Company’ at 9.30pm to find 'Ireland’s Most Creative Workplace'.

In it, The Gleneagle Hotel competed against Maurice Ward, based in Dublin and Shannon, for a place in the grand finale.

10 companies and organisations from across the country are encouraged to operate as a team and make the piece of art on their own premises from concept to completion.

Each were paired with an accomplished Irish artist throughout the entire process, and the work was judged by expert art critics, Evelyn O’Rourke, Broadcaster RTÉ; Caomhán Mac Con Iomaire, National Gallery of Ireland; and Helen Carroll, Business to Arts.

“This was a fantastic opportunity to showcase the creative talents of just some of the people working in The Gleneagle Hotel,” Patrick O’Donoghue, CEO of The Gleneagle Group, said.

“By encouraging creativity in the workplace we are better positioned to generate new ideas and improved ways of working. The Gleneagle team created an incredible piece of bespoke art and we are very proud of them.”

 

Five workplaces will make it to the grand final and a public vote will help decide which workplace created the most impressive piece of art and deserve to win.

The winning company will have their artwork on public display in Dublin’s CHQ at the heart of Dublin’s business district for a period of three months.

“We all really enjoyed working on this project, our team was made up of people from different areas of the hotel and everyone here at The Gleneagle really got behind the project and supported us,” Sharon O’Keeffe, Brand Manager of The Gleneagle Group, added.

 

The programme continues every Thursday night at 9.30pm on TG4.

 

Advertisement

News

New nursing unit to open by end of March

Killarney’s multi-million euro Community Nursing Unit is finally expected to open its doors by the end of March 2025, bringing an end to years of bureaucratic delays. The 130-bed facility […]

Published

on

Killarney’s multi-million euro Community Nursing Unit is finally expected to open its doors by the end of March 2025, bringing an end to years of bureaucratic delays.

The 130-bed facility on the grounds of St Finan’s Hospital. which began construction in 2022 as part of a national Public Private Partnership, was officially handed over to the HSE last year.
The Health Service Executive is currently in the final stages of the registration process with HIQA.
A “courtesy pre-registration visit” was conducted in late January, and the HSE is now addressing minor recommendations before submitting the final application.
The state-of-the-art unit includes 30 dementia-specific beds and will replace the aging facilities at St Columbanus’ Home and Killarney Community Hospital.
Once the transfer of residents is complete, it will clear the way for further healthcare developments in the town, including a proposed Minor Injury Unit at the St Columbanus site.
Bernard Gloster, CEO of the HSE, recently told the Oireachtas Health Committee that the opening is a priority for the first quarter of the year.
Mayor of Killarney Martin Grady confirmed the timeline.

Attachments

Continue Reading

News

Father despairs as “voiceless” cast aside in Health Centre dispute

The father of a nine-year-old Killarney girl with profound disabilities has spoken out against the “needless turf war” and “parish pump politics” he believes have stalled the development of a […]

Published

on

The father of a nine-year-old Killarney girl with profound disabilities has spoken out against the “needless turf war” and “parish pump politics” he believes have stalled the development of a primary healthcare centre in the town.

Steve O’Mahony, whose daughter Alexis requires round-the-clock care, issued a stinging open letter following the decision by local councillors to reverse the inclusion of a HSE-run facility at the Áras Phádraig site.
The move followed a period of significant public backlash regarding the use of the town-centre location.
Alexis lives with Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Deficiency, a rare metabolic condition that causes brain abnormalities, alongside cerebral palsy and epilepsy. For the O’Mahony family, the lack of a centralised hub means navigating cramped, scattered facilities or undertaking difficult journeys to Tralee, Cork, and Dublin for vital appointments.
The “voiceless” dismissed
In an open letter seen by the Killarney Advertiser, Mr O’Mahony questions why no one has properly investigated the function of a primary care centre, which he describes as “a lot more than a physical building.”
He argues that the focus on the Áras Phádraig site as being “for the people of Killarney” is a rhetoric that fails to recognise that those with disabilities are also citizens with immediate needs.
“I am a father of a child with complex medical needs who turns 10 years this April,” Mr O’Mahony wrote. “I have ten years of experience of navigating the health system both locally and nationally. It is not always a pretty picture especially when it is mixed with politics, most notably parish pump politics. I do know one thing more than anything and that is that those with a disability are the voiceless. As a father it is my civil duty to speak about this and the whole sorry saga which in my humble opinion has been led by fear and mistrust and shown the voiceless being cast aside yet again.”
He added that the phrase “the Áras Phádraig is for the people of Killarney” is “an insulting phrase that completely dismisses the immediate needs of the most vulnerable in our society.”
A call for urgency
Mr O’Mahony expressed frustration that Killarney is at risk of rejecting €16 million in targeted funding due to the dispute.
He believes the opinions of those who would actually use the services including the elderly, young parents, and people with disabilities were never specifically sought during the public consultation.
“The silence is deafening,” he noted, referring to the lack of follow-up since the initial public outcry subsided. “If half the energy devoted to this story was reinvested in the need for such a centre in our town we would all be smiling.”
As the wait for a modern facility continues, the O’Mahony family remains focused on the daily realities of Alexis’s care.
Over the years, the community has rallied to support the ‘Let’s help Alexis’ fund, helping to provide a wheelchair-accessible vehicle and essential equipment.
However, Mr O’Mahony says the town now needs a proactive approach from its leaders to provide the long-term health infrastructure that children like Alexis depend on.

Continue Reading

Last News

Sport